What are my Klipsch Speakers worth and what year are they?

Boardgirl

Hi, I have a pair of Klipschorn speakers with the serial number 1C977. Comp K33J53 and there are some more info that says Type K-3H2C and another serial number that reads 1B925 it also says "woofer type K3H2C. Does anyone know what year these are and how much they may be worth? Any help would be much appreciated! 

• Moderators

It will depend on the condition of them, your location (urban area it is more likely they will pick up, remote area you might have to ship) and some other factors.  You will need to post photos of them to get an idea on their worth.

I will check on the year and will grab a link on here and post it for you that shows where you can date these speakers by serial.

Here is the link to how to date them.  

It sounds like you are getting part numbers off the speaker parts.  Take photos of the SNs and post them here, it should be a white tag on the back and will have a place for two signatures for "inspected by."

18 hours ago, Boardgirl said:

Hi, I have a pair of Klipschorn speakers with the serial number 1C977. Comp K33J53 and there are some more info that says Type K-3H2C and another serial number that reads 1B925

The letter is the key to the age,  The C=1964, the B=1963.

Travis ^^^ gave you good suggestions on what additional info you will need to post to properly evaluate them.  Pictures of both the good AND bad sections of the speaker cabinets will be helpful.  We see those types of speakers all the time on this board, there are a lot of them out there, and they tend to hold their value very well.

With Klipschorns (abbreviated Khorns) of that vintage you can see a selling range between $1500-3500, with exceptions on both the high and low side.  An "average" selling price for older Khorns from that era in excellent condition might be $2,000.

On 8/5/2016 at 9:17 PM, mungkiman said:

Doesn't C=1965?

Photos, please.

There is a discrepancy between the version on Klipsch.com

And the Klipsch Korner on Audiokarma

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/klipsch-heritage-s-n-dates-code-decoder.147797/

AK shows S/N A=62, B=63, C=64, D=65, (and more)

Klipsch Groomlake51 shows A=62, B=63 AND 64.  Then D=65, E=66 (and more)

+++

Good catch, and whichever is correct WILL make a difference in correctly identifying those years.  I don't know which is right.  How can we obtain verification?

• Like 1

If "Decorator" (unfinished without full top) versions of the Klipschorn were made in those years then that would also significantly affect the price.  Since there is typically no nice wood finish or the speakers have been finished in an odd way, they are typically not as sought after.  I'm not sure based on the serial if that is known here.

• 4 years later...