------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Sad to see Klipsch continuing with the THX farce. There is nothing about THX certification that makes a speaker better... except the Bose style hype that consumers eat up.

While Lucas Films THX experiment did focus some attention on making commercial theaters better and there was an early move by speaker manufacturers to have some of their speakers certified as a selling tool, I'll take my Klipschorns, KLF-30s, SVS Ultras or some brand new RF-7's any day over ANY "Certified THX" hype clunker.

THX is NOT a technology but rather a set of "standards" set by one movie maker that have been falling further behind the technology curve by most accounts.

From what I have heard, THX has fallen so badly that Lucas Films sold 80% of the company to a Singapore firm that builds cheapo stuff. Their plan seems to be to get back the $10 mil they paid by approving a lot of speakers that are definitely not worth waiting for.

If I ever have an occasion to buy a Klipsch THX speaker, it will be because of the Klipsch and not the THX. Your wife could be right on this one. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg

HornED, on the flip side, Klipsch needs to survive. If that means a few gimicks that won't affect the overall sound quality, that is fine. At the end of the day, it is about money. No money, no Heritage line, no Reference line.

It's kind of like car companies that come out with a new car that is cheaper and not on par with the rest of the lineup. The rest of the products are fine, but the one car is cheap, and a big seller, and gives the company the cash they need.

This is a BAD example, but take Porsche. They were basically out of money, but they released the Boxster (bad example, because the Boxster kicks a$$.), which is 50% cheaper than than the cheapest 911. The car is, and still is a HUGE seller and many Boxster owners trade up to a 911. Anyway, Porsche is rolling in green thanks to the Boxster.

Get the idea?

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Hey, I agree with you kenratboy and said as much on another similar thread. I don't blame Klipsch for putting out a new line to make a buck from those who don't know or care about the difference.

My above comments are directed to our Forum folk who are building toward systems that thoroughly outclass the THX smoke and mirrors approach to value. -HornED

PS: Oh, yeah, and I think the Boxter was a great example of the concept. Well done, my Reno friend.

So, are we all agreeing that these new speakers will not outperform the Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers with Dual SVS CS-Ultras?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Samsung WS-36Z4HF (36" Direct View 16:9)

A/V Receiver: (Still deciding)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

HornEd,

I would love to have a pair of K-horns for the mains and move my Chorus II's into the middle front and back and use my KSP S-6's for the surrounds. That would make me very happy. But I also look at the footprint that some of these speakers take up. I agree that it's hard to beat the sound of the K-horns but if these new speakers carry on the Klipsch legend I would be interested.

GMan

Speakers for the masses? Well, I bet we are going to be close to the $5,000 mark. A THX Ultra DVD player and receiver would get you close to $10,000, add a ~65" rear projector and you are talking $15,000+++ easy. I guess I am not part of the "mass." Frown.gif

------------------

BobG, you could almost make a poem out of that!!!

Let me put it this way:

Q4 2002

Q1 2003

Q2 2003

Sooner or later?

Pretty please with sugar on top? Smile.gif

------------------

AHHH! DECISIONS! DECISION! cwm3.gif

Do you guys think I should wait for these new speakers or buy the RF-7s now??

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Samsung WS-36Z4HF (36" Direct View 16:9)

A/V Receiver: (Still deciding)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Hi, I hate to disagree with the venerable HornED but I would keep an open mind about the new speakers.

I've very much enjoyed my set of the original Klipsch THX speakers. The KT-LCR, KT-DS and KT-SW15 subwoofer.

The THX speakers have a different design, and a different purpose. They were built to do movies right, and they can deliver that in spades.

The complete matching of all 3 main speakers achieves the same goal as your KLF30 center matched to a pair of equal mains. Albiet on a smaller scale.

The surrounds will probably be very closely timbre matched to the mains for seamless pans of sound effects around the room.

Nothing is perfect and my original THX set suffers from very poor bass response in the satellite speakers, and a subwoofer that is great as sound effects but not really fast and musical. The original THX sub was designed to roll off pretty steeply below 30 hz as prologic soundtracks really didn't have the low bass of today's DD and DTS 5.1 or 6.1 mixes with their separate LFE tracks.

I would expect the new THX speakers to shine for movies, and the new subs to be tighter and able to play lower than my old one.

For Music, I'll happily stick with my Scala's, and would expect the new THX set to be more equivalent to a setup using 3 RC7's as mains. Those looking at the RF7 should be happy that their mains have the low down frequency power to do justice to most music even without a sub.

Now if the new set is priced 6 grand higher than the reference series, I'll defer to HornEd's expertise on THX being a pricy badge only.

Lyle.

------------------

Gear: Klipsch La Scala ;THX home cinema: KT-LCR, KT-SW15

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Denon POA-2800 Amplifier

Panasonic RP91 DVD

NAD 7140 Stereo receiver (Pre Only with Denon Amp)

I agree with alot of the pro's and con's presented on this topic. However, I am not going to run out and purchase a newer receiver or change speakers just because it is THX or Ultra THX 2 certified. I think with my current receiver the Denon AVR-3300 and running all separate high quality amplification feeding an array of speakers and dual subs would more than qualify for a THX rating. I would like to know what the actual requirement parameters that were measured were. I am sure I would have no trouble exceeded them with my current set-up.

------------------

Living Room

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (105W X 3)(Heresy II's (Walnut) (Addtnl Mains)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (200W X 4) LWE-I w/Motion Feedback (Walnut) (Rears) & Infinity SM-82 (Walnut) (Side Surrounds)

DBX BX-1 Power Amplifier (400W X 2) (Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane)(Mains)

DBX MPA-150 Split Spectrum Mono-Block Amplifier (175 X 1) KV-4 (Center) (Black)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

DBX DX-5 CD Player w/DAIR

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

RCA DRD-485RG Digital Satellite Receiver

DBX CX-1 Reference Pre-Amplifier (For 2-Channel listening)

DBX TX-1 AM/FM Stereo Tuner w/Shotz NR

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Electronic Crossover

DBX 5BX-DS 5-Band Computer-Controlled Dynamic Range Controller

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver (85W X 3)

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD/CD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

Technics SL-DL5 DD Linear Tracking Turntable

Pioneer CT-S88R Auto-Reverse Programable Cassette Deck

DBX 200XG Program Route Selector

DBX SNR-1 Single Ended Noise Reduction Unit

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller

DBX 2015G 15 Band Per Channel Equalizer

JBL T545 Loudspeakers (Mains)

Cerwin Vega CS-18A (Center)

Audiosource SW 6.5" Subwoofer

Panasonic 20" Stereo Television

THX requirements are:

1.) Have lots of money

2.) Give us lots of money

3.) Make money and give it to us

Thats it! Thets why there is THX written on the ProMedia's! I know it is the "multimedia standard", but what a joke!

------------------

The 'joke' of years ago shaped the future (now) and got us to where we are today. Note that most AV equipment now embodies those 'suggestions' and manufacturer's are now improving on them.

I hold no personal or phsycological grudge against George Lucas. Whenever you hear a good movie soundtrack you should thank him.

Keith

about the only real benefit i see for thx speakers would be if they don't pour $ into woofers & materials & keep 'em in line w/ the thx standard fixed crossover of 80hz which is still it or the lowest possible setting on most receivers. that way no money is wasted on big speaks set small along w/ the adequate sub. end rant. Wink.gif

of course I prefer to stick w/ the non-thx klipsch speaks & a receiver or pre/pro w/ adjustability down to 40-50hz & a lot of power. cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Bah.

THX is glorified Dolby Surround Pro-Logic.

I perfer DTS, anyday.

Give me a 60 x 90 horn and a couple of aluminium substrate woofers in a full range box Combine those with a few WDST surrounds and good sub, that's all I need.

THX is a great marketing tool.

I don't believe that was Mr. Holmans' plan.

But, as it turns out, people are seriously buying into it.

Hey, more power to them.

To each there own.

THX standards are pretty simple.

A few of the basics are;

1. Controlled directivity.

A. For the soundstage,

The vertical directivity is shaped to reduce reflections off the floor and ceiling.

The horizontal directivity is kept wide to allow for a larger sweetspot.

B. For the surrounds,

Dipoles are used so that ambients can't be localized. The "null" area they create in front of them is crucial to the soundfield.

2. General speaker performance.

A. The soundstage must have range of 80Hz to 20Khz. Period.

They must be specifically designed to have a balanced octave to octave sound.

B. The sub must also have a strict range of 20Hz to 80Hz.

I personally like full range everything.

If I had the space, I think that 7 KLF30s or RF7s would be the best bet.

I look at HornEds' set up and think,

"Man, I hope that's how my system looks when it grows up" Smile.gif

DTS and full range boxes.

Nothing I've heard sounds better.

Re-Equalization-Decorrelation-Timber Matching.

Smoke and Mirrors, pure and simple.

Individual 5/6/7 channel recording.

That's audioreality my friends. LOL.

Not that THX is bad, but DTS is better. IMO.

"If we had perfect materials at our disposal, ideal in quality and unlimited in quantity, it would be a simple matter to arrange that the curve recieved by our ears should be exatly identical with that which was created by

the orchestra--we should then have what is described as "perfect transmission".

What we heard might be good or bad, pleasant or unpleasant, but at least it would be faithful reproduction of what was played.

Unhappily we live in an imperfect world in which perfect transmission is impossible"

Sir James Jeans 1937

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

"I personally like full range everything.

If I had the space, I think that 7 KLF30s or RF7s would be the best bet.

I look at HornEds' set up and think,

"Man, I hope that's how my system looks when it grows up"

ar, that's my gripe w/ the fixed crossovers at 80hz thanks to thx interpretations (90hz in he's yammy case). so HE has speakers w/ the capability, but set small (to avoid standing waves) they're cut at 90hz. that's not using them to their ability.

------------------

My Home Systems Page