Hunting EL84's

richieb

Would anyone happen to have a matched pair of EL84's they are looking to sell? Like a forlorn firefly a very nice Tele went poof on me last night. Burial was this morning, lunch afterwards. No Sovteks please and while that is what I had on hand and is currently burning I prefer to aim higher. I will probably speak with Brent Jesse recording if nothing developers here, and Thanks.

Why are you looking for a matched pair for single ended service?  Unless there's a very large gain difference between them you would never know the difference.  Besides, if the tubes are matched at a specific tube tester voltage, they may not be matched at the voltages used in your amp.  The only way to ensure true matching is with a curve tracer which few dealers have. 

Maynard

Well I just looked through my EL84 stash and the few  euro types I have are matched quads which of course I hate to split up. I have a quad of Telefunken's and a quad of Amperex Bugle Boys D Getters. I have a few quads of USA made types. These are all used tested both in tube testers and in operating amplifiers. I do have one single brand spanking new in box Amperex white labeled made in holland halo getter but you would have to find a mate...

I have a nice pair of USA made GE 5 star and a pair of realistic gold pin made in japan. 

12 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Why are you looking for a matched pair for single ended service?  Unless there's a very large gain difference between them you would never know the difference.  Besides, if the tubes are matched at a specific tube tester voltage, they may not be matched at the voltages used in your amp.  The only way to ensure true matching is with a curve tracer which few dealers have. 

Maynard

Thanks Maynard

i didn't know this and appreciate the schooling.

Rich