Hey billybob... You need to duck buddy

teknoid

Helluva storm aimed at your end of the world. Hermine is not yet a hurricane but they're saying it might become one by the time it makes landfall.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2016/Tropical-Depression-Nine

Didn't there used to be a thread about hurricanes? Just how does one pronounce "Hermine"? And what is the "gender" of the name Hermine?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, teknoid said:

Helluva storm aimed at your end of the world. Hermine is not yet a hurricane but they're saying it might become one by the time it makes landfall.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2016/Tropical-Depression-Nine

Didn't there used to be a thread about hurricanes? Just how does one pronounce "Hermine"? And what is the "gender" of the name Hermine?

Thanks for the heads up...:) Native Floridian and can actually remember being a bit afraid in my youth when Hurricane Davie(?) came across the peninsula and brought 80+ winds. Dad sent my brother and me to check out the local, up the road closeby fallout shelter at my elementary school.

Old 50's car that we could hardly be swayed by wind in.

Lady friend(fiance') is a native as well but, the tall pines around the house has her really boogered up a bit. We will be taking care of those but, of a sudden they have become a major issue. We are receiving quotes now for removing them. Meanwhile, I say to her to go to her sister's 50 miles away, closer to the coast but no tree problem. That way I can stay here and put my refurbed x-overs in and have a party. Instead, we will probably load the 3 cats in their cage and vanish to safety a couple of miles away at the I-10 motel chains. Guess the cats will be safe enough in the Volvo wagon. We are inland around 40+ miles so, generally speaking, we do not bear the brunt of storm winds. Before Hermine is over, other forum members here will be possibly affected.

I do appreciate the shout! It does seem they could have a much more creative list of names to choose from. They were doing female names for a few years until now it seems they are  at unisex names for storms. Never have known or heard of a Hermine in my life. In the recent past, some members, even myself would give a shout out to each other. It just occurred to me that the NOAA webpage was the source we used, instead of these would be weather outlets, commercially sponsored, and in it for the sensationalism. Your link provided info that is actually useful! The more it sits and spins, this could be a strong one. Stay safe as well!

Sorry for the long winded reply but, it is important and thanks yet again!:)

Update: Probably keep Nancy with me and ask her not to go to coast, as her sister and hubby may well leave their area as lower lying and they have electrical blackouts too often...

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, teknoid said:

Just how does one pronounce "Hermine"? And what is the "gender" of the name Hermine?

You need to plan your next outing at Hogwarts.  Hermine was Harry Potter's friend.

"Her-MY-nee"

Hermione-Granger-Wallpaper-hermione-gran

2 minutes ago, teknoid said:

Thanks for the clarification of the pronunciation and gender.

Would I be stoned to death by this crowd if I admitted that I've not read any of the Harry Potter books nor have seen any of the movies? ;) 

Same here...ditto! Not I!B)