Tangent T500/T5000

absolve2525

I'm supposed to check out a pair tomorrow, and I'm very interested to hear what they sound like. From what I gather, they're underrated, sort of like the KG series were before they gained appreciation. Apparently, these have the same components as the Heresy II but with a large box, passive radiator, and low bass. I've never heard Heresies, but I do have KG4 as well as Chorus 2. I don't expect them to upseat the Chorus, but they look like fun speakers. Does anyone here have a pair? Done any upgrades like Crites? Thanks 

Had the 500's. The 5000's are just a wee more efficient but otherwise same build. Both a bit forward sounding(?), maybe due to PR on front.

Hope they are a good deal moneywise. Grill cloth a little diff. than usual, more smooth and clothy. Kept stock.

They are fun...

• Like 1

That's funny, the web page for them says they are 2 ways. They look similar to the T-400 (which for sure used the exact same components as the Heresy II, including the HII labeled crossover board), but have a passive instead of ports. I wish all the old info would make its way back.

Bruce

• Like 1

Sooooo, I bought the T5000 last week. They sounded pretty good when I heard them briefly in the owner's garage. The drivers looked surprisingly great,  no pushed-in dust caps or torn woofers. I brought them home, and plugged them in to my big Sansui G receiver. Yuck!! The midrange was just plain piercing and there was very underwhelming bass, for a 12" active and 12" passive in a good sized cabinet. I was thinking about ways to unload them as quickly as possible. Butttt, I had to check inside first. I pulled all the drivers. Turns out they have really nice components. High quality K-28-K vented, ribbed cone woofers, K-75-K tweeters that look identical to my Chorus II, and K-53-K midranges that are probably the same as Chorus II also. Beefy drivers, and good looking crossovers with high quality parts. Something is wrong. First step was to recap the crossovers. I had spare Jantzen caps for the tweeters and midranges, and Parts Express electrolytics for the woofer circuit. I was planning on just recapping, then buttoning up for some listening, but my order from Bob Crites happened to arrive ;-). Soooo new Ti tweeter diaphragms were installed with the new crossover parts. I've enjoyed the Ti phragms in every Klipsch I've been able to use them in. They do benefit from break in time, however, which is where I'm at now. Currently...... They are kicking ***! That peaky, unlistenable midrange is sooo much smoother. That passive, which was making borderline over-excursions before, is now tamed and moving properly with the woofer. The highs are just great. And getting better. I was about to write off the Tangents, but I'm entirely absorbed now. It's basically Forte with a front firing passive. Wow! They're shaking the house currently. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hi, I am a Klipsch fan for over 30 years. I had bought my first t 5000's in 1990's. I also had the t theater center speaker. As I had bought audio video furniture the center speaker was too big to fit inside the enclosure. I had to buy the smaller center speaker from Klipsch called the R 25c. I was thinking that it is smaller and less dynamic than the bigger rear ported T Theater....I was wrong. This small speaker had mids and highs that were beautiful. I decided to sell my T5000s for the Klipsch rp 280f too match the dynamics in movies. As I turned on the system and listened at a flat response the highs and mids are dominate but not in a negative way. The Klipsch rp 280f are detailed maybe too much. The warmth from the t 5000's I am missing. I am writting this only 2 hours since I bought them. I know they must be broken in but anyone who has the T5000's think twice before you sell them. The workmanship is not even close to the rp 280f's but the t5000's  have a roundness in the spectrum. My wife enjoys the new speakers so do I but the t5000's had that sense of fresh air which is hard to put in words. I will let the music play on my new 280f's for the next days. I know it must be broken in. My amp is a old school Soundcraftsmen ProPower Four which I love. I am thinking about upgrading to a AMC tube amp.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I have the T5000’s along with the Klipsch Tangent catalog flyer with specs for all the Tangent series speakers. Mine sound great running through an old NAD system. 2700 amp, 1700 pre, 5170 CD and a BSR EQ3000.. Hit me up if you need specs on your Tangent’s. Hd2000deuce@gmail.com

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/13/2016 at 8:07 PM, absolve2525 said:

Sooooo, I bought the T5000 last week. 

Did you happen to notice where and what kind of dampening klipsch did in the 5000? My 500's have 2 pieces of foam on the left and right side that were loosely placed in the cab. Not glued to the wall, just thrown in basically. 

I am also interested in what crossover network they use. My 500's are heresy 2 crossovers from factory. Haven't recapped them yet.

The more I read into this, the more I think experimenting with a bit of insulation or other dampening materials will NOT help the passive rad in any way. Have you done any type of dampening to them and seen results? Just curious.