Hersey or SF-2

JasN00b

since i can get these two speakers for very close to the same price i was wondering which would be better.

i'm about 60% music 40% Home Theater.

i like both the speakers... but i'd really rather avoid a sub for now because of the extra price they throw on. and the SF-2s go significantly deeper.

so if someone whos heard them both discribe thier sound qualities and give me their opinions i'd appreciate it.

------------------

---------------------

I. Love. MUSIC!

How much bass do you need? The Heresys start to roll off around 80 Hz and are 3 dB down around 65 Hz. For just about any kind of music except pipe organ using C0 stop and some synth this is just fine. For home theater you will want a sub to go along with them.

The Heresy has more of a traditional horn sound than the SF2. It is a three way system that crosses over to the horns at 700 Hz. The SF2 is a two way system that crosses over to the horn at a much higher.

You need to listen to both and decide which sound you like best.

well i listen to lots of blues, rock, techno, classical... pretty much everything except rap.

i have heard both of them but not a/b which BLOWS.

tweeter doesnt exactly have heritage on display Frown.gif

------------------

---------------------

I. Love. MUSIC!

This message has been edited by JasN00b on 09-07-2002 at 10:26 PM

Well, since there's a ton of 20 year old Heresys still being used on a daily basis, that solves the durability issue. The Heresy build quality is excellent, albeit is is basically only a simple box. But the quality of the materials and construction make it a long term keeper.

I've heard both, but not in an A/B set-up. As Malcolm noted, they are different speakers an sound quite different. Over time as you upgrade your components, IMO the Heresys will allow you to hear more of what's going on than the SF2 since the quality of the drivers inthe Heresys exceed that of the SF2.

------------------

2 Channel

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconnects/Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords/line conditioner: CPCC Top Gun, Model 11, Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns

Second system- My dad's old Fisher 400-refurbished, Heresy II, Vecteur Variation CD player

Early last year, we bought a pair of '96 Heresy II's.

Having Klipschorns in the living room, they were headed for the bedroom for music. Even on top of 2 foot tall endtables, they sounded great.

We found a pair of Cornwalls and the Heresys were put on the "2 two many list".

When someone came to audition them, they were sitting on the floor in front of our K-Horns powered by one our 2 Denon POA 2800 amps. They had the flat riser base.

Didn't find the bass lacking one bit and sounded wonderful musically. They will be bass shy for movies, but depending on what type of music you like, they should do fine until a sub comes along. We listen to anything from smooth Jazz to Heavy Metal.

Not putting down the SF-2, but have always been a Heritage fan from long ago.

This is just my opinion and it depends on your ear.cwm35.gif

------------------

The token female for the Klipsch Fan Club Tour 2001

This message has been edited by Mystery Guest on 09-08-2002 at 12:04 PM

we had the Synergy System 6 which is a well known decent movie system, but not audio. We changed out the fronts for SF-2's to get some more sound up front and that helped with the music. But still, it was QUITE lacking.

My dad's friend has a pair of cornwalls and heresy's. he let me borrow the heresy's to test out this marantz amp (PM500) that i had found in my garage. anyway, i did a side by side but using different amp,s yamaha and then the marantz (only on the heresy's did i use the marantz).

anyway, the heresy's won, hands down.

two more examples. at my high school we have an amazing choir, chamber and other. they have 2 heresy's pumping amazing sound in a massive room, we are talking 20 foot ceilings in a room tha tis about 50x30. in the orchestra room, in which i play the trumpet Smile.gif, we have a room with 20-30 foot ceilings that is say 80 feet wide and 50 feet deep. we use TWO heresy's and it sounds amazing still, in such a large room. the SF-2 would be coughing trying to match the quailty and pure powerful output of the heresy's, from what I had experienced with the Synergy's at my own home.

We have sold the Synergy system to a guy that works for my dad and he got this pre packaged RF system, which is quite nice Smile.gif

If you want music, Synergy is NOT the way to go. Some of the Classic and especially Heritage is the way to go, also the Reference, but not Synergy.

That is just my opinion.

Oh yeah, i don't think ANYONE has eer complained about the quality of the heritage line, but even the Referenc eline now-a-days has been noted that there seemed to be a slight drop is quality of the speakers (lots of little things from my experience, the speakre cover clips break like crazy for example). The heresy's our school has aare the same ones that they got when they first built the school, that would be in the 1970's. They have lasted over 30 years of band music, and the other set of chior music. Our band and orchestra both consist of well over 100 people, there are probably 800 people total in the instrumental music department, 100-200 in the chiors. it takes up i think every peiod of the day, so probably 6 hours of use every day for 180 days of the year for 30 years, and never had a problem, from what i was told when i asked the days i found the speakers, i was amazed at teh sound quality, which is what made me question what thos espeakers were, i just saw the tip of the K of Klipsch and got a ladder to see if it was truly what i thought. it was.

so, now, that is MHE, my humble, experience Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

FWIW I have Heresys. You _really_ need to listen to both. If you think the SF2s sound great, you may not like Heresys.

I got my first pair of Heresys in 1972. I went out and listened to them and a lot of other speakers, then made a choice. I have Heresys today because I have never had a compelling reason to change, just added to the original pair as HT emerged. If I had to start over today, I might go with something else, but probably not the Synergy line.

Oldest pair of Heresys I own was built in 1966 and is still going just fine. But just about any speakers will last that long if you don't abuse them and replace deteriorated foam surrounds (if you have foam surrounds).

Heresys are built from plywood. Newer stuff, including Heresy II, is built from MDF. I've shipped lots of Heresys via UPS and USPS (probably the worst two methods to ship speakers) and the only damage I had was a crossover that came loose because the person who last installed it didn't use the right screws. OTOH I have read lots of posts of folks complaining about damage to the MDF cabinets of newer models and even drivers being damaged. IMHO MDF is a great material for speaker building, but only as long as it is used where it won't be damaged by impact.

Build quality varies. Heresys with walnut, oak and exotic face veneer are furniture grade. Raw birch and fir cabinets are not. The panels often do not line up properly with each other on those.

The quality of the components inside a Heresy is the same as on the Klipschorn. It uses the same tweeter and squawker driver, and similar crossover components. Heresy II uses different components and represents a cost cutting move on Klipsch's part to keep the product afforable. Sound is very similar but not quite an exact match. Synergy is definitely cost engineered for a specific price point.

If you go with Heresys and decide you want something else later, you can be pretty sure you can sell them and get your money out of them. You might even be able to make a small profit. OTOH the same probably applies to most used Klipsch speakers, including the Synergy line.

i have heard both... just not side by side.

i watched the matrix at my friends house on his 2.0 hersey system, suprassing theater level by a noticable margin...

it was orgasmic to say the least...

and i heard the SF-2s, and defintly liked thier sound...

personally i'm leaning towards hersey but i've heard some complaints of them sounding "boxy"... any insight?

------------------

---------------------

I. Love. MUSIC!

quote:

Originally posted by Manuel:

Obvious vote:

HERESY
s>

It is a no brainer, Heritage sound, same drivers as the almighty Klipschorn, Horn on tweeter AND mids... what else do you need?

Oh, yes, bass... I can tell you, if you carefully locate your Heresy's they will give you a nice punch. Don't even doubt about it.

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Noth'n but the Truth

Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

I've tried both tubes and s-s on my Heresys, but found they really sing with tubes. For p-p, I prefer the EL34 or EL 84 sound. For SET, a 300B rig should sound nice. I think some also use the 2A3, but I'm not sure the Heresy will play loud with 3.5 watts. Others can comment on that. Vintage Fisher, EICO, Dynaco, Scott, etc., also work well with Klipsch.

Through the years, I've always heard Klipsch on s-s, and never really cared for the sound. Once I heard the K-horns with SET, I radically changed my opinion. For some reason, Klipsch (the Heritage series anyway) tend to sound WAY better with tubes.

I also find Klipsch to be very transpaent in that the convey the sound of the amplifier, so try not to scrimp when you look for a tube amp.

------------------

2 Channel

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconnects/Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords/line conditioner: CPCC Top Gun, Model 11, Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

K-horns w/ALK

Second system- My dad's old Fisher 400-refurbished, Heresy II, Vecteur Variation CD player

I have always used SS amps with my Heresys. IMHO they sound better with SS amps. I have an amp that had a variable damping factor. The speakers sounded best when the amp was set to a high damping factor typical of solid state amps. They didn't sound as good when the amp was set to a lower damping factor typical of most tube amps. The difference was all in the bass. I think this might have something to do with the acoustic suspension design of the Heresy. I don't think it would necessarily apply to the other Heritage line speakers.

The last Heresys were rated at 100W RMS or so. If I recall correctly, the earlier ones were rated at 50W RMS. Anyhow, a good 50W per channel amp will probably provide enough power.

I don't think Heresys are efficient enough for a flea watt SET amp.