Static coming from speakers all of a sudden.

AaronB123

I've been running into some troubles lately with my home theater. As some may know I just recently replaced my receiver because the signal was cutting in and out and before that I exchanged my TV because I thought it was the TV that was doing it. Turns out it was neither the TV or receiver. The new one is still doing it and now I am getting static through my speakers on top of everything else. I am leaning toward it being a power interference related issue but before I go and spend more money on something I may not need I ask for some assistance. 

I have heard that I may benefit from a power conditioner but the thing is I have been running pretty much the same gear for a very long time now and have never had this problem up until a couple weeks ago. This is not the new amp either, I had this problem before the new amp but the amp is making the static louder which I guess makes since because well, it's an amp. 

The back of my theater is a mess in terms of wires being intertangled and I have heard that can cause problems but I did try my best to separate the power cables from signal cables but that didn't seem to help. I spoke with people at bestbuy and they seem to think it could be a failing surge protector. I have an old Belkin that I bought it 2011 and was about 20 dollars at the time off amazon. I am thinking of perhaps going to bestbuy and purchasing a monster surge protector to see if that helps. 

What would you guys suggest? I know I have some people on here with some big theaters and would love your input. Perhaps @Youthman might be able to step in here I know you've got a huge theater as well. Do you use power conditoners, have you ever ran into any issues like this? The static does seem to come and go and fluctuate in volume. I have been asked if perhaps I have anything that's sharing the circuit that might be causing interference and I can't think of anything. The only thing I did recently purchase is a new ceiling fan with a RF remote but it seems to do it even when I turn it off. Could that be the cause? 

I would go about it like this:

What piece of equipment is 'injecting' the static? Turn on amp. Static? Plug amp directly into wall socket. Static?

If no static with just amp on turn on one piece at a time until you have static and then separate that piece from the surge suppressor. Static?

• Like 1

I like USNRET approach.  This may take some time to sort out.  Cable boxes are noise problems for many systems, next comes additional amps.  I have used power conditioner/surge protector console mainly for easy in plugging in a ton of stuff.  Now I have so much stuff hooked up that over 1/2 is not on the power conditioner.

This is static and not a slight hum?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I would go about it like this:

What piece of equipment is 'injecting' the static? Turn on amp. Static? Plug amp directly into wall socket. Static?

If no static with just amp on turn on one piece at a time until you have static and then separate that piece from the surge suppressor. Static?

Thank you for the suggestion it was a wonderful one! I found out the culprit. It's one of my subwoofers. As soon as I plugged it in, the static started. Does this mean the sub is bad, how would I go about fixing this issue? It's one of my Klipsch RSW 1115's. When unplugged there is still a slight bit of static but it's about 95% better than it was. The only way I have found to get absolutely no static is to plug the AVR and amp right into the wall with no surge protector. 

22 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I like USNRET approach.  This may take some time to sort out.  Cable boxes are noise problems for many systems, next comes additional amps.  I have used power conditioner/surge protector console mainly for easy in plugging in a ton of stuff.  Now I have so much stuff hooked up that over 1/2 is not on the power conditioner.

This is static and not a slight hum?

It's a constant static sound, I wouldn't call it a hum but it is pretty constant. 

10 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Still under warranty?

It should be. I believe it has a 5 year warranty and I know I bought it at max a year ago. It was open box from eBay but they said warranty still applies so well see. I'll call Klipsch tomorrow. 

I really wanna thank you for all your help though, your advice was top notch. This issue has been driving me crazy for weeks and I'm glad it's solved. 

Thank you guys I will definitely check that out. Quick question, I know you guys may think I am crazy for this but to be honest I was never really blown away by those subs to begin with I mean yes I thought they were much more accurate than my Velodyne and seemed to mesh better with the La Scala's but in terms of volume these things can't keep up with the La Scala's at all. Not to say they do a bad job but  I am wondering if perhaps I should just take this opportunity to sell these (of course fix the afflicted one first) if that ground loop isolator doesn't work. and perhaps just get some SVS sub's. I have to say those things are absolutely gorgeous. 

What do you guys think, are Klipsch sub's any good? I have to say on AVS forum they say they aren't that great  but they pretty much bash Klipsch all together on that forum from what I've seen. I see a lot of you guys don't use Klipsch sub's. All input is much appreciated! 

Also, I did buy them from an authorized dealer. It was onecall off eBay open box so they said but both boxes looked mint when I got them and it did say all manufacturers warranty still applies. 

3 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I have to use two of these with my subs.  They are ground loop isolator but, it may work for you.  It's cheap($7 or 8) and will at least dial-in if the sub amp is bad.  You may be picking up RF(radio frequency) or EM(electro magnetic interferance).

mPF7j8xIwB78aCK7OFMWtPQ.jpg

This actually worked, Thank you!!

• Like 1

Ill be the first to say if you want more bass which you need with la scalas then Svs ain't gonna do it. I've owned twin ultras. Which is 4000$ and I can tell you you won't gain much on output. A bit better sound quality down low I think. But if you want something bigger either go diy or look into some

serious subwoofers competitors. I'd look into JTR subs. Cap 1400 is ported 18. All depends on budget really. But like I said the 15's have descent output for what they are. Hard to

beat for the money really. Only way for more is bigger woofers with higher power amplifiers. 

• Like 1