Audyssey Trims Bottomed Out for LaScalas and Subs

Youthman

21 hours ago, Youthman said:

Hmmmm... I put the mic in these 8 positions.  So 3 positions are in front of each of the front row seats, 7 & 8 were slightly behind the front center seat.  No positions were taken from the back row.

d93d0631_image.jpeg

From what I've seen with the consumer Audyssey, the best results are had when the patterns are MUCH tighter, like we're talking all 8 positions on the same seat that is deemed the good one.  I've never seen anybody get great results with consumer Audyssey doing it like you're doing.  Pro like I have, you're supposed to be able to spread it out a little more.  You're welcome to borrow the kit but it'll cost you two way shipping plus a $150 license.  Believe it or not the levels on the consumer setup can be significantly different than what the pro mic comes up with.  

7 minutes ago, Youthman said:

So before starting, I wanted to see what the dial on each sub is set at.  Each sub is set at 13 clicks out of 40!  That's basically 1/3 volume.  It seems ridiculous to turn them down even further wouldn't you think?

1/3 way up is pretty close to the sweet spot on the sub amps I've messed with.  Any higher and you start getting noise.  And, gain isn't really volume. :)  

14 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I think I'm going to try and calibrate tonight, even though everyone is home.  Hopefully it will be quiet enough. 

At the beginning of Audyssey, it says adjust your subs to something like 72db.  I've done that in the past and after running Audyssey, it was as if the subs weren't even on.  Sounded terrible.  Last night, I think it registered at 96db at the beginning of Audyssey.  :P

Danged bass head kids. :)  You're only about 20 db hot.  No biggie.  

• Moderators

Running test now with sub knobs set at 7 clicks out of 40.  That's 17% on each volume knob.

Beginning of audyssey shows subs at 83db for both pair of subs.  They want me to turn subs down until they get to 72db.  That just makes no sense to me

IMG_0679.JPG

8 minutes ago, Youthman said:

At 1/3 volume? 

gain isn't volume. :)

Are you running splitters?  Keep in mind that if you are, the summation of the two channels automatically typically adds about 6 db, possibly more.  Basically 1/3 gain with a single RCA is much different than the same signal run into a splitter then run into the same amp.  I'm running 1/3 gain on my Seaton amp with one RCA.  If I put a splitter in-line, it would run you out of the room.  All depends on the amp's architecture.  

• Moderators

I stand corrected, yes, I'm referring to gain knobs, not volume knobs.  lol

I guess I'll continue on with the other five positions I believe After it gets through six positions it asks if you want to save or continue to seven and eight

It's easy to confirm with REW and a cheap microphone, just run a sweep.  Ought to look fairly level when you're done.  You can boost the output by ear / taste afterwards.  

Also is this a fairly new receiver?  The receiver ought to neuter itself and not take into any account any settings such as the channel boost which works independently of the Audyssey settings, but I'd be curious as to if you have anything like that going on, such as using the channel boost to bump it up 12 db or something.  

And yeah I don't like listening to stuff unless it's at least boosted 4.5 db.  6 to 7.5 db is where I like it due to listening to stuff at lower volumes.  I dunno about 21 db hot though. :)  You're talking about 115 db reference level subwoofer output even at -21 on the avr.  No way that sounds right.    

my older audyssey pieces make you run three spots before saving. but both my newer ones will let you save after one spot. so just run the minimum without moving the mic at all to check. disregard the instructions at the beginning to turn the subs to 72. that is a waste of time.