Some speakers work in some settings and not others

Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum so if this is the wrong place to post this, please redirect me.  I got almost all of my system in yesterday.  (I'm still missing a front left speaker that is held up in shipping).  I have r26f for front speakers, rc10 center speaker, 2 r14m rear speakers, and a k100sw sub.  I got a receiver from someone that is a Yamaha RX-V657.  I got everything hooked up yesterday and have 2 "issues":

-the front speaker never has any sound regardless of media or receiver setting (I've tried having my sources: TV/Xbox one set to surround sound.  Used optical from TV and the Netflix app on the TV which supports surround, tried going directly from my Xbox optical and using surround bitstream.  I've tried stereo from both just to see if i can get sound at all).  Is this normal if I'm missing the other speaker (again, it's on the way)? 

-my other problem is that if I set the sound to 7 channel stereo, everything works (except the front speaker which never has sound): sub, center, and both rears BUT if I set it to surround sound (both from source and the receiver) only the center and the sub work

Is it possible the receiver is broken or is everything dependent on getting that second front speaker in the mail?

Welcome to the forum....

Sorry I'm not the one to help you out with your issue on your receiver.... But it does seem to me that if you only had one speaker hooked up to the fronts it would still power that "one" speaker?? 

Did the receiver come with a owners manual?? If not you could go on line and find it. I had to this with a used receiver I got some years ago... 

Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable HT guys will be able to help you out....

Again welcome to the forum....

MKP :-)

• Like 3

So I did a hard reset and things appear to be even more strange now:

Now if I set things to 7 channel stereo all speakers have sound but the front speaker is exceptionally quiet (I set it to +5db when compared to the others and it is still barely audible.  I double checked the cables are positive to positive and negative to negative.). Even weirder: surround sound now works but the front speaker has nada sound.  Since the front speakers are by far the largest, I imagine they're not supposed to have the least sound (Lord of the rings for testing and they literally have nothing.  Gently put my fingers on the edge of the cones and the speakers don't even vibrate)

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You're fast!  (my post was only up for 30 seconds!) 

Here is the Sony:

g158STDH770-B.jpg

I see there is a bi-amp section.  OP might try checking the AVR settings to make sure bi-amp mode is not selected.

Op also said everything works now

• Like 1