Anyone actually like type AL crossovers in LaScalas and have the official schematic?

jwgorman

I actually like the sound of them. Crazy. From what I can tell they are not particularly well liked here. So, what am I missing? I can get them at 108 db peaks and they are really smooth, I'm getting a super solid image with just a touch of toe-in. And at mid 80db levels they sound nice too. 

They are 30 years old. I don't see any oil leaking on the can caps but I considered replacing the caps and the resistor with the same value components and then I thought, I'd probably jinx it! :) 

BTW, the only schematic I found for it, have some values blurred out. Any one have the genuine klipsch schematic? 

Ha, I'm not the best of describing sounds. But yes. These la scalas are stock and they are not fatiguing in the least even when playing loud rock music all evening. My stock Khorns with the AK-3 network could not say the same thing. There is no overly forward mid sound if that makes sense. 

This link has the bitmap drawing of the AL with additional text added for the component values. There are three showing, but that happened with a forum upgrade. You will have to scroll down the page to get to the AL.

Bruce

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

This link has the bitmap drawing of the AL with additional text added for the component values. There are three showing, but that happened with a forum upgrade. You will have to scroll down the page to get to the AL.

Bruce

I scrolled down and I think I found what you were referring to. Thanks. I wonder why there's no official Klipsch drawing. 

13 minutes ago, djk said:

The elliptical filter makes the tweeter sound very sibilant too (especially on female vocals), I don't care for it.

Dennis, I was going to get to that :) I did that to my Khorns 20 years ago, per your instruction and I preferred that. So, thanks again for that tip! I did note there are, what appear to be notch filters in the woofer and the squawker circuits and the polarity is swapped on the tweet and squawker. 

I think what is most striking is the less forward midrange, I am liking that in my room. Thanks for that Dean!!

Dennis, is this crossover worth rebuilding, less the elliptical filter and zeners (as I've never blown a K77) ? Or would you have other suggestions? I think I'll leave these ALs alone and get some Crites autoformers that allow multiple attenuation values and experiment. Plus I think Dave volunteered to make some highly matched crossovers. At least that's what I heard! :)

post-22082-13819304914678.jpg

Dennis, I just went behind the la scalas to lift a lead from the 2uf cap in parallel with the tweet and noticed it had already been done! You must have taught Dave the secret handshake :)

Ok, I might be a knuckle dragging caveman, but I like this sound. I might swap in some K55vs and the B&C120s in the Crites K77 replacement and see if it gets better but I can live with this. I have them jammed into the corners and aimed behind me. Not as much bass as the khorns (as I expected) but I listen to rock, jazz and blues so, I don't really miss it. It sounds very full and non-fatiguing.