Son of SoundCube

Mallette

At it again.  SoundCube 3, or "Son of SoundCube."  4 large diaphragm condenser microphones in coincidence for 4 channel recording.  Hope to test in the next few weeks at the church I wrote about in "Small church, BIG SOUND" on most of these same stations.  Original SoundCube performs beautifully and provides, IMHO, far superior surround than any of the matrix systems because it's the equivalent of the 2 microphone classic stereo recordings still being made by the most demanding engineers.  It occurred to me back then that if two worked best for acoustic recording realism and imaging that "mirroring" that should provide real surround that was as pure.  It is.  However, doing this with normal microphones was problematic getting really high resolution due to the issues of cardioid dynamics or condensers phasing to achieve directionality, and the rear lobes on ribbons (my favorite microphones for stereo) rear lobes.  So, SoundCube, and SoundCube 2 (SoundCube Jr. with half meter for situations where the last octave wasn't necessary) were PZM based, as it's the only microphone with a natural directional pattern (180 degrees).  However, reviews indicate these microphones, while cardioid, are mildly cardioid and it is claimed the pattern is far less noticeable.  We shall see.  The design is nice in that it can be flown from a normal boom and is much less intrusive that the 1 meter cube for SoundCube or the 18" cube of SoundCube Jr. 

I'll post the results (if good) when I can test.  Otherwise, short life thread.  :P

Reposted the Six Cardinal Rules, though most who are interested have likely seen them before. 

Dave

DSCF0339.JPG

sixcard.pdf

• Like 1

OK, Dave, fess up and tell me what mic's you are using.

Have you figured out a way to get the channels to playback with a readily available player? You were trying to get a single file as I recall, that would play back easily with your four discrete mic channels.

btw, I've come to the conclusion that there is not enough time in this life to do all the cool things I want to do/try/experience/build, etc.

Bruce

Haven't revisited how to bind files.  I know it's being done, but has been a well kept secret in the past.  Once I am fully satisfied I have something to share I'll put my energies into that. 

The microphones are Monoprice.  The cost would make them look dismissive...but the reviews were so over the top I ordered a couple.  Heck, the isolation mounts alone would cost almost as much as the whole thing from many suppliers.  Tried them on my piano at the RMHC and was impressed enough to order a couple more to build this.  I was amazed at the build quality for the price, as well as the performance.  And, the reviewers saying that the phase effect was minimal helped as well.  We'll see how it works out once I can do a more thorough field test...hopefully soon.

Dave