Need LaScala Plans using 1" material?

longdrive03

Does anyone have a cutting list for the LS using 1" (mdf or BB)?  Please advise.  Surely (stop calling me Shirley) someone has taken the time to map this out (so I won't have to!!!).  Thanks in advance.

Any members build the LS with 1" material and if so did you use it throughout the entire speaker or just certain panels?

I used 1 1/2" MDF for the top, bottom and side panels. For the rest of the build I used 3/4. I went off of the interior volume measurements and tried to keep everything as close to plan as possible with the the thicker material. I did not think the back would necessarily benefit from the 1 1/2 material being that the ramps were glued and screwed to it and the motor board. This results of course in the footprint of the bass bin being a few inches wider than stock. They sound great and look good too. There is no flex, however the downside is they are extremely heavy. 

Sorry I did not create new plans.

Thanks guys.

my simple calculations is  to add 1/4 inch vertically and horizontally times the number of pieces in that direction.  Need to cipher hard to avoid short cuts. 

No 4 I kinda did the same with the Belle build I'm completing now. I used 1.25" ply on the sides which turned out  to be 1 3/8" after the Veneer on both sides was added. Sounds great on the bass but haven't decided which horn to use since I may do a 2 way using the EV ND6X driver. I've got a friend that will probably buy them if he can find two K500 mid horns. 

Anybody have any K 500 Horns for sale????

I don't have any plans, but I have done a 1" conversion. I expanded the outside 1/4" which is insignificant. The "doghouse" was increased by 1/4' on the outside also. Maybe this makes a difference, but I feel that the interior volume is more important. Hell, people have opened up and ported the chamber with acceptable results. Keep in mind that LaScalas were designed (with all due respect to PWK) over 50 years ago with analog test methods while utilizing the maximum usage of a sheet of ply. It was a balance. 

My point is, if you work off of the original dimensions and move everything out 1/4", the only difference is the doghouse. You could possibly widen the cabinet by (maybe 3/8"?) and maintain the side port dimensions. 

The one thing I found out is that if you add 1/4" to the doghouse, you must add 1/2" to the front. This puts the "point" right back where it needs to be. Damn near perfect.

If anyone is going to document a 1" build, it's probably going to be you. Looking forward to the new build. I've been watching your work. Spot on.

Here's what I did.

I've made a cut list and it is attached below.  I used the numbering system off a previous 3/4" Lascala cut list which is attached also. 

If anyone has any corrections or comments please advise.

I assume that using the 1" BB ply will result in a slight decrease on the internal volume of the chamber - around .11 cf which should be negligible.

LASCALA CUTTING PLANS 1 INCH BALTIC BIRCH.docx

IMG_6317.JPG