I got my ALK's today and...

Mike Lindsey

... I couldn't be happier! Smile.gif

They arrived around 2:00 in the afternoon and it took about 90 minutes to install them. For the La Scala, you can't use the existing holes of the AL network and have to create your own. It wasn't that difficult but it's a pain in the a$$ to hook up the speakers, as the terminals are now about 6" inside the upper cabinet.

It only took me one album to realize these things are the $hit! Without a doubt, they are a much more balanced, more detailed, cleaner sounding network. I kept the squawker at the default setting (-6.2db) and it just sounds right. I may play with it one tap each way, but I think it's good right where it is.

I've had about 4 hours to audition them and I couldn't be happier. My vinyl just sounds so good at the moment that I don't know if I can ever go back to CD. I just bought the Rega Planet but have probably got about 10 hours on the machine so far. I'm still using the generic tubes in the Scott and it still sounds wonderful. I am just so impressed with the phono on this machine. I'm still looking to upgrade the 12AX7's to Mullards or Telefunkens, but don't want to spend a fortune doing so.

I would have to say my turntable is mid-fi at best (Dual CS-5000/Shure V15V-MR) but it is really dialed in. Playing clean vinyl on a new stylus with a dialed in TT is really a treat. The bass is full and very tight, the ALK has balanced the mids and highs, which has allowed me to turn off the high filter on the Scott. Previously, I had to have this on when playing my vinyl. Not any longer!

All in all, I am very pleased with the results. But then again, for $500 I think you should be. They are not cheap, but for anyone with the AL or AK networks, I think you will hear a dramatic difference with this network. I feel the same way about the AA but there are others who are very happy with that network.

Anyway, I'll add more when my new bi-wired cables come in. I don't know what they are yet, but that's my next upgrade...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Hey Mike..that's great !!

I have moved my Cornwalls to the basement which is MUCH bigger and they sound great..So, I'm keepin them and now..thanks to your "push over the edge"- I'm re-ordering the ALKs for them !!

Driving them w/ an Eico ST-70 ,which sounds good ,but my Scott 299 was better and now Craig has re-tubed and recapped it and says its WONDERFUL sounding. And the phono section in the 299 was great!! Cant wait to get it back !!

Mike,

This is interesting from my stand point. After having my Lascalas for a few weeks I have found the same high end harshness that you were talking about. I was starting to get freaked out about it and thinking it was my amp. Then I had Danocasters amp hooked up and had the same results. I think it maybe more pronounces by having the improper and non matching woofers in there. The upper end harshness on my system really presents itself when having the volume at conversation levels and lower almost sounds tinny. Although its still there when you crank it up it just seems more tolerable like these goofy woofers are starting to work.

What's really great is a lurking member of the forum ordered all the parts that Al specifies for his networks and doesn't have time to put them together so he asks if I'd like to put them together and try them on for size before I take the expensive leap. Well you know I said yes !!!! I'll be getting new woofer real soon also Smile.gif

Craig

Does it sound better than mine? Smile.gif Cause I gotta tell you, mine just sounds incredible at the moment. Even with the generic tubes. It just seems to sound better every time I listen to it. I can't get over how quiet it is and how good the phono is.

Hard to believe it's over 40 years old...

Mike

Hey Mike, Congrats!

You guys make me want to dig out my B&O TT. I haven't had a chance to listen to my sytem that much since installing my ALKs, but I did hear enough to know there was a great improvement in tonal balance and clarity. I came down with a killer flu last week and am just now getting back to somewhat normal.

I also just got my Scott 222D...she's sittin right behind me, begging to be plugged in. But I'll be a good boy and wait till I can get her to a variac. I wanna be sure that at least the power supply is in condition.

Maybe after you experiment with different tubes in your 299 you can give me some pointers. It seems that there are many choices out there...NOS, New Stock, Used, my head is spinning!

Enjoy your new sound!

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

Danocaster ..... DOn't be swearing on this here forum ! LOL

Your tubes showed up yesterday and all test fine but one its the Jan/phillips 6U8A's acts funny on the pentode side it test high and than looses a 1k strength you might of recieved a dud there. It seems to work fine in circuit though. You might want to order another and send that one back. Do you have access to any sort of tube tester ?? regardless I'm going to listen to your amp and ship it monday ! Your in for a treat.

Mike,

Um my audio memory isn't that good but yours sounded like mine and mine sounds like his so I would say there pretty close to equal. What's great about his is that it seen so little use that all the original resistors are in spec and didn't need any replacement ! The pots are all like new also !

Craig

Mike:

Try leaving a tuner on all the time for 2 weeks to help "burn in" the capacitors and inductors. My newly installed Hovlands have kept improving through 200 hours. A definate difference was notice at 100 and 150 hours of "burining in". Inductors take less time, but 125-1-50 hours will also improve their sound.

Initial installation should demonstrate an improvement or limitations within the system, but many hours will tell you the real story, usually a much more enjoyable and pleasurable one.

Enjoy.

My ALKs arrived Wednesday. I finally installed them last night at about 11:00pm. I turned the system on to warm up. I nuked a TV dinner. After I ate, I put a CD in and hit play. Sounded a little better than the AAs, but I wasnt blown away. The tubes had only warmed up for about 30 minutes. I put on a Chet Baker CD and went to bed.

I woke up this AM and put on a Blues CD. Holy Moley. Where did all these highs come from? Did the stereo fairy knock out my living room walls? My room just got bigger.

I have to go to a meeting now, but after 1 hour of listening the ALKs made a mighty big difference.

Danny