In need of tweeter

Harleywood

I have a pair of Epic 2's I bought new in 1996. The tweeter in one of them is dead. No output at all. My control amp shorted and there was a loud squeak on that channel and it must have fried it. I've replaced the control amp and all is good except for that. Not a game changer since the other speaker has full output and the Epic 2's are a little on the high side anyway but I'm missing full stereo effect on some of my older albums. Matter of fact it sounds a little mellower with nice mids and bass now on CD's and mp3's but I'd like to find a replacement since my new control amp and equalizer gives me more room for adjustments. Any idea where I can find a replacement for this tweeter? Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Its the K-64-KN 2" (5.08cm) Aluminum diaphragm compression driver (pulled from the specs) and I have one, PM sent.Jesse                        

Wow!  You probably have one of the few left in existence not plugged in to something.  Mr. Harleywood is VERY lucky to have found you. 

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Its the K-64-KN 2" (5.08cm) Aluminum diaphragm compression driver (pulled from the specs) and I have one, PM sent.

Jesse                        

Replied, Thank you.

Looks like I have something else going on with that speaker. I swapped the tweeters between the speakers and the good one didn't work in that speaker either nor did the bad one work  where the good one was working. I Swapped them back and now I'm back to square one but a little more deeper in trouble than I thought. Don't know if It fried the crossover as well or if it could be something else. I live in Houston and the closest good repair shop that I know about is Freeman Tuell in Dallas. I have no idea how to test any of this to pinpoint the problem so I'm not wasting dollars chasing a ghost. Any suggestions on where I should start. I have a fluke multimeter so if someone could point me in the right direction I sure would appreciate it. Thank you.

Pull the crossover out, mounted to the terminal cup, of the speaker in question.  Look for any parts that just don't look right.  Maybe pull the good one so you have it for comparison.  The wires won't go out too terribly far unless you remove each speaker and disconnect them so the crossover  can come completely out.  if you do that, label the wires and make note of what went where.  Could be a capacitor in the circuit that was popped.

Big thank you to everyone on this site. I've been a member less than one day and have found everything I need to get my Epic CF-2's back in top shape. Jjptkd has hooked me up with a tweeter and gave me Bob Crites info whom I called today and got everything lined up to ship him my crossovers so he can get them back in top shape. I've always been a huge audio fan. Since Dark Side of The Moon and Alan Parsons Project Turn of a Friebdly card were released my search began to find a system that would give me a remarkable listening experience. My search finally ended when I added the Epic 2's to my setup in 1996.  Looking forward to getting it back in shape and joining in the discussions on this site.. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the update, Hwood.

I was ready to jump into problem solving mode, but it sounds like you've gotten great advice and you are on your way to getting things in tip top shape.

Did you take that single K-64 that Jjptkd had?  That is such an unobtanium item, I'd just like to put in the back of my mind who has what.

11 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Thanks for the update, Hwood.

I was ready to jump into problem solving mode, but it sounds like you've gotten great advice and you are on your way to getting things in tip top shape.

Did you take that single K-64 that Jjptkd had?  That is such an unobtanium item, I'd just like to put in the back of my mind who has what.

Yes. Sent him a pm and told him I'd take it off his hands. He's getting back with me on payment info. Since parts for these are obsolete and hard to find that's going to stick in the back of my mind everytime I want to open them up. I might start searching now for drivers and buy what I can find just to stock up and keep some spares handy. lol

Great move on that purchase.  If you could put together a parts kit, that would be a good move.

It's not just that the CD's are unobtanium, it's that repair kits are no longer available.  I don't know about actively searching for woofers, but they would likewise be very difficult to find.

(I was going to say "impossible" to find, but you already did the impossible.  :cool:)

Thanks WVU. I've seen a few of the #1029 drivers online for sale. Those are some pretty tough drivers though. I've put mine to the test on more than one occasion and they handled all I could throw at them. If it hadn't been for my equipment failure which caused the problem in the first place I'd probably be having no issues with them at all. Klipsch replaced one driver under warranty when the dust cap came unglued but other than that they've delivered 20 years of flawless sound. Here's to another 20 after Bob rebuilds my crossovers. 

By the way Bob, I'm getting one more Saturday night out of them before I pull them apart to ship you the crossovers. :) They'll still do the job with only one good tweeter. 

I'll have them in Mail on Monday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update, got my XO's back from Bob today. Wow, these caps look waaay better than the ones he replaced and they're a sizable amount larger. Got everything back together with the new tweeter and they sound wonderful. Had no idea how much sound I've been missing. I do have a rattle now. Sounds like it might be coming from one of the k-1029's at higher db's. Not sure if it's bad or if I left something a little loose inside. I'll tell ya I'd forgotten how much bass those 8" 1029's can deliver. Phenomenal. I'll be pulling it apart tomorrow to see if I can silence the rattle. If not I'll be in the market for a replacement k-1029. 

59 minutes ago, Harleywood said:

I do have a rattle now. Sounds like it might be coming from one of the k-1029's at higher db's. Not sure if it's bad or if I left something a little loose inside.

Is it a rattle, or could it be a buzz from a loose dust cap?  Several of us have had the dust cap come loose and buzz.  Mine buzzed at certain frequencies so it was hard for me to pin down. 

I suggest you run a frequency sweep at some volume with one of the Youtube vids (if you are connected to the computer) and see if you can reproduce the problem.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Is it a rattle, or could it be a buzz from a loose dust cap?  Several of us have had the dust cap come loose and buzz.  Mine buzzed at certain frequencies so it was hard for me to pin down. 

I suggest you run a frequency sweep at some volume with one of the Youtube vids (if you are connected to the computer) and see if you can reproduce the problem.

Great idea on the frequency sweep. Youtubed it on my phone and it's definitely the driver. I've had the dust cap issue when they were new and that's more of a buzzing sound. This is a click on deep bass beats. And I was just just talking about the durability of the 1029 in a previous reply. I guess I jinxed myself. Soooo, anyone have a k-1029 kn they're willing to part with or know of a suitable replacement? 

21 minutes ago, Harleywood said:

Great idea on the frequency sweep. Youtubed it on my phone and it's definitely the driver. I've had the dust cap issue when they were new and that's more of a buzzing sound. This is a click on deep bass beats. And I was just just talking about the durability of the 1029 in a previous reply. I guess I jinxed myself. Soooo, anyone have a k-1029 kn they're willing to part with or know of a suitable replacement? 

I had never thought of that, so if you don't mind I'd like to borrow your Youtube via the phone idea to put in my troubleshooting toolbox.

Glad you isolated the problem.  It's always hard to isolate those things via Forum suggestions because one man's "rattle" may be another man's "dust cap buzzing."

I don't have the answer on finding a replacement K-1029.  If you had specs you might be able to get close on a 10" driver.  Those might be made by Eminence, who have a LOT of 10" drivers.

17 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I had never thought of that, so if you don't mind I'd like to borrow your Youtube via the phone idea to put in my troubleshooting toolbox.

I don't have the answer on finding a replacement K-1029. 

Don't mind at all. Glad I could come up with a useful suggestion. 

I found a replacement driver brand new through Klipsch. They've replaced the 1029 with

k-1069 ev. Ordered it today. I'l start a new thread and include the part # that goes with the 1069 so others will have the info if they're looking for an original replacement driver from Klipsch. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1