KG4 Black Finish

W.ALLEN

Wanted to find out what members are using to refinish the black on KG4's , picked up a set that the top of one has the finish coming of a little . I did read here to do both so they will match , I also read to do them with rattle can's ? Thanks for the advice in advance .

Well, according to the labels they weren't lacquered from the factory, but who knows what the previous owners had done. Are these going to be prominently featured in your living room or elsewhere? The reason I ask is because there is a product called Duratex that is made specifically for speaker cabinetry, and can look very nice if done well. At least in my opinion it looks much better than rattle cans spray…

I just have a extra bedroom for my listening space , I did see your post on the Duratex when I did a search earlier . So what finish is under the black according to the labels ? I would like them to look nice but they don't have to be show quality .

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant. They were painted black at the factory but there was not a lacquered finish put over the black at the factory. Again, as I said, what a previous owner may have done is undetermined, obviously. So, they look as if they did when they came from the factory, except for the worn spots of course. The Duratex is quite easy to apply, and dries very quickly. And I think you would very much like the end result.

• 3 weeks later...

That does not look like paint.  Paint would not let the grain show through.  It looks like a solid color stain.  I would apply a good quality black solid color stain from Sherwin Williams.  No need to do any sanding, just go right over it.  Test it at the bottom first to make sure you will like the finished look.

I built some amp stands years ago. I used 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF, glued and screwed the 2 pieces together for a 1 1/2" thickness. I primed the MDF and later applied several coats of Rust-Oleum spray lacquer sanding between coats. The sanding will knock the gloss down. Added spikes and they look just like my Klipsch 0.30 sheen lacquer speakers.

You might try it on a piece of scrap first.