Heathkit MA-12 monoblocks EL84 w/ La Scala

heavyP

Today i plugged in my "old" (but serviced-up to specs) Heathkit MA12 monoblocks to play the La Scala. it's a Mullard 5-10  thing with EL84 tubes in PP mode. they have a gain/volume pot that enables to run them directly from a cdplayer. though i could hear a faint hummmmm in the doghouses when i got close to them, it was a very special treat. bass was much tighter than my usual FDA amp and dynamics were impressive. the first good watt-rule, i guess. from Miles (demastered version thanks to Chris A ;-) to Giuffre, Bley, Haden, Ortega and Zoot, the La Scala really sang differently. though i'm a def KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) guy who fell for FDA,  i'm afraid the tube virus may have hit me again...

another day spent listening to music with the Hkits on the LaScala. it sounds so good i've decided to bring my favorite turntable back in the living room. it's a Braun Pcs5 with a simple Acutex 312str, my phono-pre is a custom MM/MC  V-fet thing on batteries. i had invited a few friends who never heard LaScala but had read all the "lack of bass" litterature.

they were totally impressed by the natural and articulation of drums and double-bass, wether it was on cd (various McBride and Haden opus) or Lp, where the dynamics are even more startling. and find that finally, the LS are not "that" big ;-)

the duo track with Richard Davis on "Eric Dolphy Memorial album" (mono) is incredible and Kind of Blue ( 6eyes mono) never sounded so rich and full and close.

the LaScala definitely bring me back into the pleasure and desire of music, which is risky - but delightful

read a very interesting piece about flea power vs. more tube watts on the LS i'm trying to find again to share here.

b&k2.jpg

• Like 1

I'd enjoy reading the article if you can locate it.  I've had guys running as little as 1/3 wpc with La Scalas, and it was more than enough power for their listening needs and taste.  There was a discussion on here some time ago about just how little power LSs need to create very loud levels when sitting fairly close to them.

Maynard

The sonic characteristics of ultralinear push-pull are so different from those of SETs that it's impossible to make any comparison.  Each mode of operation has its strengths and weaknesses, so it simply becomes a matter of personal taste in choosing the preferred sound.  Even if your friend said that SETs would be better, if you don't like it as much what would be the point of making a change?

I used to hang out on Pink Fish and remember this discussion.  Damping factor isn't all that much of a big deal with speakers like the LSs.  Again, this is subjective.  

In any event, enjoy!  Those MA-12s, having been restored, should last forever so unless you need greater power output in the future you won't need to buy other amplifiers...

Maynard

thanks M for your feedback. you're right, we're all different, all systems are different and we search different sensations thru music.

my friend (and others agreed) actually meant a SET amp - especially modern ones - would have a hard time touching these Hkits ;-)

i had quite a few reference amps passing by for the past 10 years: mc30, marantz 8B, CJMV55. the only ones i kept are the Hkits, so yes, i think they're here to stay