New set up. Need rear speakers

Cambo5159

I'm a surround sound newb. Just got a Pioneer Elite vsx-lx301 receiver. I have Klipsch R26F towers in the front. I have a Klipsch R25C center channel. Also, a polk hand-me-down sub. I'm needing some rear speakers. The room is small, space is limited. I'm looking to put some speakers on stands in the rear corners. I came across the Definitive Technology Promonitor 800's. Thought those might work. Thoughts? Or any other similar suggestions in that price point? The Klipsch bookshelf speakers are just a little too big for the space they will occupy. Oh, also, will it be worth it to upgrade the sub to a klipsch sub when money allows it?

• Like 1

For proper timbre matching you should go with the surrounds in the same Klipsch line as your fronts and center.  The sub does not matter for this nearly as much, and I'll let the sub experts weigh in for further opinions.  I have used different surrounds when just starting out and believe me, timbre matching makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

The Klipsch recommended surrounds are the R14s...http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-surround-sound-speakers#r-14s

Klipsch site says sold out. Klipsch is in the middle of a huge new product release, but I'm sure they can be found used. You could always move up a level to the RP line. Will you plan on upgrading any of your speakers someday? (many so no, but do eventually)nIf you plan to upgrade, you could get a better surround for now and be covered if you upgrade the others lately. There are so many variables it's hard to give a definitive answer. Your budget usually dictates what your choices could be. 

Many buy used, some won't even consider it, but used can get you a much better speaker for the same price.

I hope this help......and welcome.

30 minutes ago, Cambo5159 said:

Forgive my ignorance but which Klipsch rear speakers will have proper timbre matching?

Honestly, your front 3 speakers need to match as close as you can but I have found surround speakers you can scrimp on pricewise but I would stay with Klipsch. 

2 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

There are so many variables it's hard to give a definitive answer. Your budget usually dictates what your choices could be. 

Yep. My guess is if the OP gets any of the reference RS series speakers or bookshelves from within the last decade he will be good to go and I too am a fan of the local used market if you get a chance to check them out prior to buying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cambo5159 said:

Could the R14M or R15M bookshelf speakers be used as rear speakers with my setup? The R14M's are pretty inexpensive on Amazon right now. 

Yes people do it all the time.  Personally I don't think you should get too close to them if you go in that direction though, a direct firing horn right into the ear of the outside seat isn't the best idea in my opinion.  Try to get the dispersed surrounds if that's the case.