$60 La Scala Purchase = New Project

BamaMike

I think someone was trying to eliminate "cage ringing" with the terry cloth. Not sure.

Put a meter on everything and all the speakers are good.

A friend came over yesterday and did his best to sway me towards a stock rebuild. Being that the dog house is intact but apart on the one, I would love to veneer it but that leaves the other being a little more difficult to veneer. Especially if I want everything visible done.

So... I need to make a decision on the woofer and do a full rebuild on the crossovers and during that time I will mull over what direction to go with the cabinets. I've veneered before so I'm confident enough to choose something a little more exotic. I'll get the wife's opinion on that.

I used to be a Military Club DJ and used the La Scalas and McIntosh 1200 for over 30 years - what a sound - everyone loved it - I retired about 15 yrs ago and sold my La Scalas and miss them - maybe when you finish I can get a pair from you later on down the road - after we do this deal - cause I have a sensitive ear now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, longdrive03 said:

Bama, I've never veneered a LS that was intact.  Boy you have to cut the veneer exactly right.  A lot easier what I'm doing now building one from scratch and veneering as I go.  The separate doghouse should be easier since you don't have to worry about the length of the veneer.  Post pics of whatever you decide to do.  Great project.

This has been weighing heavily on my mind for that exact reason. Templates... exact placement or chisel it off and begin again. If I am to keep them, I want them to be special. One thought I had was flat black inside with exception of the "V" portion which will be contrast with a cherry stained birch or ??? veneer, But even then, tough to do. I'm thinking vertical grills to cover the openings in the doghouse has well like Mathews has done on some of his.

I'm going to get the crossovers done and gather the missing speakers components etc and go from there. Pulled the drivers off the mids and there is like cotton balls stuff in the driver end of the horns! Also - The caulk peeled right off less a few tid bits.

The flat black except V portion would look good.  The bottom and top of the bass chamber is the hardest to cut and apply.  The length should be 22.25" on the bass bin innards.  Might be easier to apply the bottom and top cutouts first with a tiny gap around the edges and then install the 22.25" tall vertical pieces in between the fill in the tiny gap.  This is just me thinking and I've never done it but I know from experience you can wast a whole lot of veneer by make a small mistake!!  Could the cotton balls be there on purpose to tame the horn harshness.   I thin Moray James suggests using a foam ball or tissue in the mid horn to tame harshness.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, longdrive03 said:

The flat black except V portion would look good.  The bottom and top of the bass chamber is the hardest to cut and apply.  The length should be 22.25" on the bass bin innards.  Might be easier to apply the bottom and top cutouts first with a tiny gap around the edges and then install the 22.25" tall vertical pieces in between the fill in the tiny gap.  This is just me thinking and I've never done it but I know from experience you can wast a whole lot of veneer by make a small mistake!!  Could the cotton balls be there on purpose to tame the horn harshness.   I thin Moray James suggests using a foam ball or tissue in the mid horn to tame harshness.  Good luck.

Thanks... I think we are on the same page!

17 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I hope you'll document the progress of your project on the forum. I'd find it very interesting.

If you're interested, there's a pair of LaScala crossovers for sale on craigslist in CT.

If you want them and he won't ship, I can work with you on it.

I will most certainly take many photos.

The plan is a full rebuild of the crossovers. I've got that covered.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Karsoncookie said:

That is "Moretite" wrapped around the horn.

Stays totally soft and fresh for years, like Twinkies.   Marc

https://www.google.com/search?q=mortite&espv=2&biw=1396&bih=669&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA7PXts_DRAhWLqlQKHSUABpsQ_AUICCgD

I have a friend who recommends a different product. I do not know the name but I'll let you know...

17 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I hope you'll document the progress of your project on the forum. I'd find it very interesting.

If you're interested, there's a pair of LaScala crossovers for sale on craigslist in CT.

If you want them and he won't ship, I can work with you on it.

He said he didn't want, so thought I'd poke my nose in.

I'd be interested in them, I can contact him and if he wont ship, could I take you up on this.

thanks.

Srinath.