Multi channel file format

Mallette

For the past 5 or more years I've posted here and done searches for a standard file format, wav or flac, that could be used for multi channel audio.  In my case, 4 channels is all I want.  I have yet to find software that can be used for this purpose, even though J River and several other players claim to be able to play them and such files appear to be available.  I've queried Cirlinca, which appears to be a candidate but their description isn't clear enough to be sure.

I've been sitting on some of my SoundCube surround files now for a decade waiting for a way to distribute them properly.  I tried several ways, including DVD-Audio and Pro Logic.  All "blurred" the sound as well as did not sound fully discrete as the files do when I play them discretely.  I really want to get some stuff out to you guys as well as record more using my "SoundCube" based concepts...but it's pointless if no one can play them back without having to jump through a bunch of technical hoops. 

Seems like this should be easy now...but it isn't.

Dave

Neil, I fear this is another dirty little episode in audio history.  As I investigated the DVD-A format over a decade ago, I found that that to do anything past 48khz required a proprietary compression program that cost several thousand dollars.  Wasn't a bit better than the public domain stuff, but the owners had managed to get it required for DVD-A compliance.  Undoubtedly helped sink that format as the same tactics have almost done to DSD in SACD.  At least the DSD recording format has gradually become more available, as well as two channel files for download.  Where would LPs be if you could only have them play correctly with an EQ curve costing thousands as being patented?  Or CD/digital that had to be in a certain file format to play that cost thousands to acquire?  This crap hurts all artists and musicians and is a crappy business model as well... but they don't learn.

Dave

• Like 2

Would it be possible to record two channels on one device and two more channels on another device and then synchronize them during playback?

I'm reminded of the first time I experienced stereo FM, circa 1965 in Kalamazoo, MI.  It required two FM radios.  One was tuned to one station playing the left channel an the other was tuned to a station playing the right channel.  The two stations synchronized their broadcasts.

Actually, I have a Roland 4 channel recorder that's easy enough to play them back on, and most pro digital recorders will sync with each other.  The problem is something for YOU and audiophiles to use as a standard and easy way to do this. 

The earliest radio stereo involved stations with AM and FM (mono) playing one channel on one and the other on the other as there was no multiplexing standards.

Dave

59 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I have to use an asio driver to play back through a multi out oudio device though.

I've done that with Audacity as well...but as you mention it isn't really "standard."  Need something that will load to common players without a person having to know anything about drivers.

Dave