Xilica owners, a question...

Coytee

Ok, it's about time to admit yet again that I'm a dumbazz...

I won't get into the story about how I've configured my unit...only to reset it....and have to reconfigure it.....about six times now. :blush2:

No, I won't tell anything about that story, lest it prove my first comment without any mitigation.

Issue:  I understand (or presume) the various outputs can be steered to the various inputs.

"How?"

It seems both my front speakers are tied to input 1 (another dumbazz issue on how I figured that one out but, I digress)

I'm looking at page 25 in the owners manual (yes, I'm actually trying to read it)

It seems to outline what I interpret as the scrolling order of the screen.

Down at the bottom, it says "Source"  Seems like that is what I want to deal with however, I can not for the life of me, figure out the magic sequence on the menu buttons to show this to me on the screen!  One thing the Dx38 seems to have over this is once you were in the Name field, you could just dial your way anywhere and it was linear.  This doesn't seem to be as straight forward.

So, how do I steer outputs 2-4 to input 2 instead of having all four outputs linked to input 1?

DA

Well I'll be (Gomer Pyle voice)

Figured it out!

There is a column 'Mixer' in the software (still can't figure out how to get there via the front panel of the unit)

Anyway, that is where you click & select what input goes to that specific line item.  All mine had the (what I presume to be the default) go to input 1

Changed it and it worked!  

35 minutes ago, Schu said:

This is precisely my concern with getting one of these actives. While controllability and customization is desired, the learning curve and variables in operation is intimidating.

I've had the same feeling with seveal pieces if gear in the past. 2 pieces come to mind, my Anthem D2 and my Behringer BFD.  Things seem to clear up a bit when you actually have them in your hands.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issues with it too...what I did was use the software to select the area I wanted to change, and then use the front panel controls to get mine setup. The tree menu system is not very well documented at all IMO, but I have to say once you are on the proper part of the screen it got pretty easy after the first couple of times.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Apologies...  I hadn't seen any comments in this since my last...

Zim:  Yes, up & running...  mostly thanks to Chris A for some guidance.  It (the system, not the crossover) isn't dialed in yet as I made two changes....swapped Xovers and went from a preamp to an AVR at same time.  I'm also trying to dial the AVR in.  Thanks to John Albright (who isn't related to me), I discovered that some idiot (cough) had his rear surrounds....plugged into the rear surrounds.... and they never worked.  Seems the 5.1 setup is for NO rears but sides instead so I had them plugged into the wrong outputs!  (I have them as rears and not sides because the room won't let me)

Fixed those last night so now have those working....tinkered with Audessy for the first time to see what it does.  Speaking of that, does Audessy have a bypass switch so one can do a side by side??

Schu: There is a learning curve, I have to admit....but it isn't terrible.  In my circumstance, my PC is in a different room so can't 'easily' hook to my active via PC and am almost required to do it by hand.  Then... just a few days after it came in.... my wife got a new laptop for her work (we've never had a laptop).  She doesn't know it but now, the software is on her laptop and I can stand at the closet and plug into the front of the crossover to do things the 'easy' way (via software).  Being a stubborn person, I do however, still want to know how to dial things in from the front of the unit because it is generally so much faster (once you know the magic sequence).  Reality is though....once you get it dialed in, it tends to be a set it and forget it situation.  You will adjust your volume or lights or input selector far more often than you will change the crossover....  so though it can be a frustration, it's not a continuous frustration....you either get it where you need it or pull it out and smash it with a sledgehammer.  :o

Carl:  I agree...it clears up a bit once you actually see/do it.  (though I still know where the sledgehammer is in the garage!)

Ellis: I'm getting it figured out but still have to comment....the Dx38 (only other active I've been exposed to) has a much simpler logic tree....  you scroll and it simply takes you through every location in sequence.  When you are where you need to be, make the change and then keep on scrolling!  I do find it far more intuitive than this (at this point).

I haven't had it long enough to evaluate sound quality.  I didn't really have any issues with the Dx's I had....  main thing there was I had two of them and wanted to do some consolidation.  Now they're out and I can either sell them or use them for an outdoor movie with a single Dx dedicated to each stack (MWM/MB/K402)