Chorus II cabinet

Huiez

What is the best way to reinforce Chorus II cabinet? Can anyone point me to some specific directions and materials? I notice just a bit of a buzz in one of mine at certain mid-bass frequencies. Also do the speaker gaskets need to be renewed or replaced? Thanks in advance for some direction.

Scott

Are you sure its the cabinet? It's a pretty heavy and well made box. Sounds like there's an air leak, possibly through the gasket material. Check the rear passives also, and that screws are tight. I had to redo the gaskets on my Tangents. You can buy gasket tape from Parts Express website. 

see pictures of post #31 on the page below. This cabinet is a Quartet but is very similar layout to Chorus 11 you can brace the same way, notice how the stringers are used to tie all the braced sides together. Cross brace below and above of the woofer and mid horn and important to cross brace below and above the passive. moray james.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/starting-to-mod-klf-20-cabinet-crossover.372783/page-2

12 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

Are you sure its the cabinet? It's a pretty heavy and well made box. Sounds like there's an air leak, possibly through the gasket material. Check the rear passives also, and that screws are tight. I had to redo the gaskets on my Tangents. You can buy gasket tape from Parts Express website. 

Thanks and no I am not sure. I did remove the passives and I had one screw that was stripped and would not tighten, but overall it seemed secure. Maybe some plastic wood to fix where it pulled out of the MDF?

11 hours ago, jason str said:

Pull the passives out and make sure the cones were not overextended.

Thanks but I am not sure how to do that. They looked almost new and real good physically as far as I could tell.

9 hours ago, moray james said:

see pictures of post #31 on the page below. This cabinet is a Quartet but is very similar layout to Chorus 11 you can brace the same way, notice how the stringers are used to tie all the braced sides together. Cross brace below and above of the woofer and mid horn and important to cross brace below and above the passive. moray james.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/starting-to-mod-klf-20-cabinet-crossover.372783/page-2

Thanks so much, that is what I was looking for. Is this type of mod going to offer much at mid to low volumes or is this going to help out just at ear bleed levels? I would guess a more rigid cabinet would help overall? I am showing my ignorance :)

3 minutes ago, Huiez said:

Thanks but I am not sure how to do that. They looked almost new and real good physically as far as I could tell.

Lightly push on the inside of the outermost part of the cone and make sure it is still attached to the frame, if it is loose it will need to be re-glued. Use a flashlight if needed.

5 minutes ago, jason str said:

About the stripped screw hole simply break a few toothpicks and wood glue them back into the stripped screw hole & re-install the screw.

Well that makes sense! Thank you. I will double check that passive as well, I am pretty sure it is intact.

34 minutes ago, Huiez said:

Thanks and no I am not sure. I did remove the passives and I had one screw that was stripped and would not tighten, but overall it seemed secure. Maybe some plastic wood to fix where it pulled out of the MDF?

We have some woodworkers who post here, so listen to them, not me, but I've always heard putting a mixture of wood glue and sawdust in the hole was a good solution.

Edit:  I just saw where Jason weighed in and gave you a solution ^^^ using toothpicks.  He's the woodworker, listen to him.  B)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

We have some woodworkers who post here, so listen to them, not me, but I've always heard putting a mixture of wood glue and sawdust in the hole was a good solution.

Edit:  I just saw where Jason weighed in and gave you a solution ^^^ using toothpicks.  He's the woodworker, listen to him.  B)

Ahhh! Thanks! Toothpicks I have, sawdust not! :D

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Huiez said:

Thanks so much, that is what I was looking for. Is this type of mod going to offer much at mid to low volumes or is this going to help out just at ear bleed levels? I would guess a more rigid cabinet would help overall? I am showing my ignorance :)

going to start to evident from mid to higher levels. What you will find is that when you clean things up and you lower distortion you are going to find yourself listening at higher and higher peak levels simply because it is much more realistic. The interesting thing is you probably won't realize that it's happening.