What amp for my La Scala's?

32blownhemi

Unless I sober up by tomorrow I'm going to get a Mc275 IV (just kidding, I don't drink)... I hate to do the car battery although I do have an Optima battery & a industrial battery charger.... If I did this I'd never get around to changing it.... Bill

You may want to consider a good Single Ended Triode or Pentode (SET or SEP) amp for your La Scalas. 

I have driven mine with the CazTech SE-845 (845 tube/SET = 18 watts), Quicksilver SET (300B/SET = 9 watts) and Almarro A205A (EL-84 SEP = 4 watts).

In my opinion, the La Scala sings with single ended tube amplification.

YMMV.....

try it with the Optima.  basically a no cost deal for you.  I've done stuff like this before with good results.  I predict you'll charge the battery once a month.  LS will drive you out of the house with a few watts.

I've got an NOS Nakamichi car receiver and big amp, I'm thinking of doing this.  The Nak is from the good old days before they fell apart.

• 3 weeks later...

You got a McIntosh MC275 VI to drive your La Scalas? Wow. Serious headroom or ear bleeding volume. Seriously that thing will just be idling most of the time, unless you have no neigbors within a few hundred yards. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have a pair of La Scalas AND a Mac mc275 myself, but I would use the 275 to drive my acoustic research AR 90's and buy one of Dennis Had's INSPIRE SEP amps to drive the la scalas. (I am hoping to get one of his amps in the near future for my Heresys, and other vintage high sensitivity speakers)