Klipsch speakers vs........

jshep

Klipschguy,

Is sounds like your brother had the D-9s.Those were the models mine replaced.My 380SEs came with a 15" woofer 2 count 'em 2 7" polefin midranges and also a horn tweeter.

Very efficent speaker but if they had gone to a real x-over things would be improved.

They sound flat compared to my Cornwalls although every speaker I hear does!

Jeff

Deang,

Sound to me like you have a love for the rather inefficient acoustic system designs-Advent,Acoustic research,Dahlquist.My friends parents Advent had a pretty good sound -needed all of the 120 watt receiver to get them really going.

One of my very first speakers was the Polk SDA IIs.Bought them because I thought bigger was better (young& stupid)Paid about $2000.00 for the pair-lasted all of about 1 hour in my house before I called the stereo shop for a return (knew them well,just had spend $5000.00 on Yamaha seperates)Was the only speaker that made my Class A Yamaha amp clip!

I then tried a set of Yamaha speakers,also acoustic suspension-if memory serves correctly they were the model directly under the fabled NS1000M proceeded to smoke a voice coil in the woofer so that the woofer was stuck out permantely that day.

I personal dislike acoustic suspension speakers.I have a set of outdoor Niles but the only reason I purchased them was to keep the critters out of 'em.

Jeff

In a way, you are correct. My venture into Klipsch started when the tight, controlled bass of the RB5 won me over. The Klipsch Reference speakers are the only ported speakers I have ever heard where I felt the bass was tight, as well as tonally correct. I now listen to the RF7's with a triode p-p amp.

Yes, almost 30 years of audio for me. Advents, Stacked Advents, Powered Advents, AR11's & G.A.S., Magnepans & Luxman, and now the horns. I wanted the DQ's when they came out -- but couldn't afford them. I recently picked up a set on Audiogon for the reasons of restoration and nostalgia.

I don't like fat, bloated bass -- which is how the bass in most ported speakers sounded in the 70's and early 80's.

Incidently, I can't imagine dumping 120 watts into an Advent. They were only rated to take 60, and much over 80 and the tweeter would fry.

This message has been edited by deang on 09-21-2002 at 12:31 PM

Some Cerwin Vegas are pretty decent speakers. I still own a pair that I bought 16 years ago. The ones you see today at Best Buy are not very good at all. The particular models I own, however, are pro quality. Although they don't sound as good a Klipsch, they are still pretty darn good. I had the intentions of selling them, but when I connected them recently and really got to listen to them for the first time in a long time, I was too impressed to try selling them.

Jeff,

I do believe you're right, my brother's speakers were the D-9's. Pitful midrange - singer was always somewhere in the distance (too much IM distortion also). I like the vocalist up front being accompanied by the music (why I like Klipsch). But hey all nitpicking aside, the speakers were not all bad; they could rock a party pretty well. Believe me, I've heard worse (BTW, what does 400 + 501 equal?)

Andy

DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER THE CERWIN-VEGA 211-R? 12 INCH BASS REFLEX CABINET WITH A MID HORN MOUNTED IN THE REAR AT A 45 DEGREE ANGLE AND A PHENOLIC DOME TWEETER. I STILL OWN A PAIR(FROM THE EARLY 70's). I USE THEM ON MY SECOND SYSTEM. THEY ALMOST HAVE THE KLIPSCH SOUND.(NOTE THE WORD ALMOST)

JC:

I own the PD-15's. They are a home model, but there was an equivalent "Pro" model that was exactly the same except that it was covered with carpet, came with metal corners, and had handles. It has a horn tweeter, horn mid, and 15" woofer in a vented box. The surrounds on the woofers were not made of foam, are made of a cloth-type of material, similar to what you get with Heritage Klipsch. The CV reps told me it was designed after the Cornwall. In fact, it had a similar sound. When I had Cornwalls, I used to play both at the same time and they were a pretty good match for each other, although the CV's were more efficient at 105db. Overall, the Cornwalls sounded better, but I still like the CV's quite a bit. They're fantastic if you just want to rock the place.