Klipsch speakers vs........

jshep

I am new to klipsch. I have a pair of RF3II speakers with a Denon 3802 and Denon POA-2800 amp. I have not purchased surrounds yet, but it will be all klipsch reference. I also just bought a pair of SB-1's for my bedroom. Before I found klipsch, I had (and still have) my cerwin vega ls-15's. My ears tell me that the Klipsh speakers sound alot more accurate..very musical. My question however is.... anyone here have experience with cerwin's? If so, what are your opinions.

**by the way, the cerwins are now collecting dust in the closet**

Denon 3802

Denon POA-2800

Klipsh RF3II

-----------

Bedroom

Onkyo Receiver

Klipsch SB-1

-----------

Closet

LS-15

Couple more questions. Should probably make them seperate threads....oh well.

Does anyone know the exact specs for the POA-2800?

It sounds great with the 3802...brings out better bass

and a cleaner more dynamic sounds. Does it run class A?

Also, I have a 14 month old daughter. Any suggestions

for babyproofing speakers without moving them off the floor? I saw a thread that mentioned wrapping speaker with yarn. Any other suggestions?

LOL baby proofing scares me...I have a 1 yr old as of tomorrow. I suspect the yarn idea is good.(It will not hurt anything and will in effect make the speaker covers stay on without hurting anything.)

The dennons are very nice with Klipsch. I have the 3802 also.

I would say keeping away too much with my personal biases...( A hem..) To stay within the series that you have or one that your gonna buy all around. The new RF series are fantastic speakers...but do sound different than the heritage line up.

Seems to be a lot of people love the SVS subs..( Something I do not have yet, but looking into myself too.)

Last, but not least, just enjoy your speakers...after all the diagrams what is used as parts, etc., etc., to agnosium..... What matters most.. is what you like too.

Hope this helps.

Cerwin Vega is not great. They had one line a while agot that was about $1,200 a pair, and it handled like 2000 watts and was ment to make some real noise and sound good.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

jshep,

Unfortunately Cerwin-Vega! like a lot of other speaker companys went downhill a number of years ago.Their moto was "loud is good-as long as its clean"

They made some nice speakers in the late 70 to mid 80s but went downhill from there.The 2000 series was one of their better speakers of the day.

I still have my 4 380SE series speakers from 1986.

If you think the Cornwalls have great bass you haven't heard a set of Vegas with the likes of Godsmack or Korn.

Jeff

If you listen to Godsmack and Corn I'm not sure I can send the Scott to you !!!! Holy Moly Smile.gif If you happen to have your favorite tracks from those groups on MP3 whip them my way so I can check them out with your amp !!(hopefully of good quality). I might need to do some bass mods to your amp !!

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Craig,

Godsmack yes,Korn no,not really just a good bass cd I borrow from a friend when I want to rock the house.Sorry,no MP3s to upload.I do listen to a lot of Metallica though-not a bass-shy sound by any means.

What is involved in those bass mods you mentioned? is it easily returned to stock afterwards?

Jeff

Craig,

That was one of my fears in obtaining a tube amp-I really like the "slam" factor of my Yamaha solid state.

Although Mobile claim tube amp can rock with the best solid state I will be surprised if it can match up.

Indie or light rock I really don't see a problem-probably dead silent on the quiet passages and crystal clear on the mids but,there aren't lots of those quiet passages in Heavy Metal music (at least in the ones I like Smile.gif ) I do listen to all types of music though and this is where I think the Scott will shine.

Please help me see the tube amp light!

Jeff

Jeff,

I listen to alot of hard hitting Rock but mostly from the 70s and 80's and let me tell you I never yern for more bass out of my amp. My daughter likes Default and Creed and loves it on my Tube setup. No bass mods at all. I have a 70's Pioneer SS , Marantz SS and HH Scott SS the Scott tube amp have no problem putting just as tight hard thumping bass out of my Lascalas or my Sub. What speakers were you using again ?

Craig

Craig,

Once this mod is done does it have any negative effect on the mids & highs?

I'll probably have you leave it in its stock configuration and if I feel is lacking I'll get in touch with you and you can walk me(baby steps)through the mod.

On the Metallica song...probably Disposable Heroes from Master of Puppets (the all time best metal cd)

"Why,am I dying

Kill,have no fear

Lie,live off lying

Hell,hell is here.

I was born for dying."

Ok guys-lets hear it!

Jeff

Hey Jshep, Welcome to Klipsch! I have a Cerwin Vega Bass bottom with an 18" driver, but I guess that's different... If you can ever upgrade to Kornerhorns, that would be the ultimate. I've have mine for 24 years now and they still continue to blow me away!

Craig, I ought to send you a copy of the Telarc recording of Stravinsky's Firebird to test out the amps. It's got loads of dynamic passages that will surely put the amps through some good testing...

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

This message has been edited by AndyKub on 09-20-2002 at 07:56 PM

As far as baby-proofing... get some corwalls. Those nice sturdy covers are better than the flimsy covers on RF-3's for protetcting those precious woofers. Plus, if you get used, they will likely have some imperfections. This will help ease the nerves since a little more damage won't make such a big difference. Smile.gif

Mace

This message has been edited by mace on 09-20-2002 at 10:00 PM

Deang,

Have you listened to any of the older 'Vegas? -not the new ones as seen in Circuit City etc.Most of the older ones are well made and not "bloated" like the newer models.

Cerwin Vega makes these speakers for a certain "market" if you will and they sell these things in spades to the younger generation who need volume and boom to play their new music and watch the Matrix at maxium SPL.Then worry about the overall sound next.

Kinda sad.

Jeff

My brother had a pair of Cerwin Vega D-? with the 15" woofers (102dB/1M/1W if memory is serving me right). In my opinion the weakest link in these speakers is the midrange. The paper cone midranges just cannot keep up with the woofer, nor their horn tweeters (I actually like Cerwin Vegas horn tweeter okay). IMHO, if Cerwin Vega had gone with a good horn midrange their speakers would be in a different league. Also, bass is abundant, but much boomier than the Cornwalls.

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 09-21-2002 at 11:12 AM

How far back do you want to go? In the 70's, while I was listening to the Original Advents and AR11's, all my friends listened to Cerwin Vegas. Awful, just plain awful. Yeah, the problem was the midrange -- there wasn't any.

Radio Shack used to make a speaker called the Mach 1. It walked over every derivitave of Cerwin Vega that existed back then.

Ah yes, the Mach 1 -- the ultimate teen party speakerSmile.gif