Ordered RF-7 mkII's

AlmostGod

Heya everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post, so I'll briefly introduce myself. I'm 23 years old and live in The Netherlands, I've been into audio for a good 3-4 years and already owned a bunch of speakers. I currently use a pair of Tannoy D300's, had a pair of Klipsch RF82 once and they rocked!

I still live at home and since getting a bigger room I've been looking into the RF7's again (I was checking them out but my room was way to small for those dual 10") and after seeing the new RF-7 mk3's I just knew I could get a good deal on the 'old' 7's. So I ordered a pair. I wanted Cherry really bad, but all the distributor had was black, and every other shop I checked only had black. Black isn't ugly but cherry just looks nicer (: . 

I'm going to be driving them with my Yamaha DSP-A1, which is a flagship Yamaha amplifier. I am thinking about upgrading the amplifier, just getting monoblocks or something with more power. 

I know for a fact the Yamaha can handle a ton, even the Tannoy Kingdom 12 was no problem a buddy of mine told me. The Klipsch come in end of may, as you can understand, I can hardly wait!

I have read that a ton of people upgrade the crossover, is this really necessary or is it just a good thing to do?

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new speakers.  I'd leave the crossovers alone and just enjoy your new gear.  If there's something that doesn't sound right, others will chime in with suggestions about placement, room treatments etc.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, robert_kc said:

Welcome.  I think the RF-7 II are great speakers, and an excellent value (particularly now that they're on sale).

Have you read this thread? 

Yeah I paid 1760 for them, in euro's that is. Normal price ranges from 1950-2500 euro's.

Edit: Yes I have read that topic, however my source is a Mac which has extremely low output..

Edited by AlmostGod

On 26-4-2017 at 5:41 PM, CECAA850 said:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new speakers.  I'd leave the crossovers alone and just enjoy your new gear.  If there's something that doesn't sound right, others will chime in with suggestions about placement, room treatments etc.

Okay, yeah what is the best placement? Near a wall? I have the second floor which has sloping sides behind the speakers (well, the part where the speakers will be placed) and behind my bed. Can't turn it around, Don't think I'd really win anything then...

17 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

They're rear ported so you don't want to get too close to the wall.  Do you have a drawing of the rooms layout?

Both sides, the one at my bed and behind the speakers will start sloping at about 85-95cm. My Tannoy D300s like to be in corners, the RF7s wouldn't like this? 

IMG_20170504_155228.thumb.jpg.14609ed146b7666ae1deceb2e24b3380.jpg

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I'd try them there and also if possible (gear and wiring permitted) right inside the bedroom area at the corner.  In other words forward from where they are.

Okay thanks! Do I need to toe these in? The Tannoy's don't really seem to care what I do with them haha. The triangle point with the D300 as they stand now, is about 3 meters away from my listening position and it doesn't seem to matter at all.