RP-280F or RP-260F for Pio vsx-921

Spirit_Rises

Hi guys

i have the Pioneer Vsx-921 and i am deciding to replace my 15 years old speakers with the ones below,

klipsch rp-280f

or

klipsch rp-260f

which one should i go with? can my pio vsx-921 drive those speakers? 

and what is the difference between the r-26f / r-28f and rp-260f or rp-280f ?
thanks in advance

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:35 AM, Spirit_Rises said:

RP-280F/260F------more refined, better parts

R-26F/28F-----------less refined, cheaper parts, consumer grade Best Buy models, good sound on a budget

Welcome to the forum.

Bill

You likely only need the 260s, as the difference in output is not that much.

Buy the one you think will look better in your setup, or buy the larger ones if size is not an issue and you want the most headroom.

There's way too much put into buying the biggest possible...and then you are stuck with really big speakers in your room!  

On 4/29/2017 at 2:35 AM, Spirit_Rises said:

which one should i go with? can my pio vsx-921 drive those speakers? 

RP-260F is all you need if you have a sub, but the RP-280F's look more majestic.  

Your receiver should be fine, just don't run them full range, use a crossover.  

The biggest difference in the cheaper line is that the tweeter material is aluminum instead of titanium, which will sound harsher at high frequencies and high volumes.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

RP-260F is all you need if you have a sub, but the RP-280F's look more majestic.  

Your receiver should be fine, just don't run them full range, use a crossover.  

The biggest difference in the cheaper line is that the tweeter material is aluminum instead of titanium, which will sound harsher at high frequencies and high volumes.  

MLO I agree with your comments about the cheaper line but I had a pair of R-28Fs for a year and the mid-bass seemed OK on it's own, but compared to a set of RF52s I have to say it wasn't even close.  The 28s seemed like jello comparatively while the reference were crisp and tight.  Did you notice this?  

5 hours ago, thisgsx said:

Buy the biggest your wallet allows you to. 6" woofers vs. 8". You decide.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Not a good ideal without knowing about the room, listening habits ect.  The speaker should fit the room!

thank you all for your answers guys.

i ordered the RP-260Fs and at this point my concern is my pio vsx-921.The speakers are125 watt at 8 ohm.And my receiver's outputs like below

• Power Output Per Channel(20Hz-20kHz,.08%THD@8ohm) 80 watt
  • Power Output Per Channel (1kHz@8ohm) 110 watt
  • Power Output Per Channel (1kHz,1%THD@6ohm) 125 watt
what do they mean? which output should i focus on? for example at 6ohm  values 125 watt suits with the speakers' 125 watt.But the speakers are 8 ohm? how will it work?

can someone please explain those values?

and also i thought buying the Marantz SR5011 as an upgrade over my pio vsx 921.What do you say for that? is Marantz SR5011 really an upgrade over my pioneer vsx-921?

can Marantz sr5011 drive RP-260Fs easily?

or Can my pio vsx-921 also drive those speakers easily?

thanks in advance 

I have a cheap Sony that is 100 and it does fine with a 5.1 system.  Speaker impedance is what the 4 ohm, 6 ohm and 8 ohm specs refer to in the manual.  Speaker will change their impedance and never really stay a 6 ohm or 8 ohm or 16 ohms.  The lower number impedance makes the amp work harder.  They you Pioneer and if you think you need more juice, then consider the Marantz or a higher level Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, etc.  Higher level avr's may have better room correction systems.