RF-7ii as center

veloklipsch

Hello all,

I just bought a single RF-7ii to be used as a center to go with my RF-7ii with DeanG crossovers. Due to space limitations, I plan to lay it horizontally. Are modifications needed to make the speaker sound better? any advice is appreciated.

thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If you want a horizontal speaker, an RC 64 II would have did the job.  There are a few guys here that have did a RF 7 II mod to use the speaker horizontal.  Hopefully Metropolis Lake Outfitter will see this post.  He did an excellent RF 7 II mod.

It would sound fine for the most part, as long as you only sit in one position. :)  At the minimum maybe try to rotate the horn 90 degrees.  What you're going to run in to is off-axis response.  

You can potentially also take it apart and build a custom enclosure as mentioned above as well.  The midbass out of such a thing is so ridiculously nice that you'll love it.  And the off-axis lobing / comb filtering issues on upper midrange is so bad that you'll hate it if you know what to listen for. :)  The WTW design sounds a little different in itself, but the biggest issue is that those woofers are so big, so spread out, and crossed over so high, that lobing is unavoidable and is quite simply a really bad design for a center channel.  The RC-64ii sounds better in this regard because the horn is smaller, woofers are smaller (everything is closer together), and the inner vs. outer woofers are crossed over at different frequencies.  All that thoughtful design gets thrown out the window with a custom center made out of RF-7ii parts.  Midbass rules tho.  

Here is one I built.  I just threw the horn on top but there's supposed to be a cutout the size of the actual horn then a backing plate for it to mount to, then the horn lens goes over it.  It's more complicated than the old original RF-7 which just dropped in but had exposed screw holes.  

IMG_2944_zpswym8tt0w.jpg

• Like 1