Crestron 7 channel amplifier 200 wpc

teaman

19 hours ago, Islander said:

Or you can just buy and install a commercial grade duplex 20 amp receptacle.  They're under $5 and they have stronger springs and probably more contact surface than a 15 amp model.

I installed one on the outlet that powers the subwoofer and the two power amps, and a second one on the outlet that powers the AVR and the rest of the gear.  They were on two separate circuits, so I had to run a grounding wire between both power amps and the AVR to get rid of a 60 Hz hum.  That's a minor detail that applies to any system that is plugged into more than one circuit.

My electrician buddy noticed one of the receptacles and commented that it violates code, but I'm not drawing enough power to tax the 15 amp circuits, never mind 20 amps.  If I ever sell this place, I'll just re-install the original 15 amp receptacles, so the new owner doesn't plug in something that would overload the circuits.

For me, I just like the improved connection.  It's one more (or two in this case) weak link in the system eliminated.  The sockets grip plug blades so tightly that if you push too hard, the receptacle mounting tabs bend a bit and the receptacle starts to move into the wall.  Luckily, there's a nearby 15 amp receptacle for when it's time to plug in the vacuum cleaner, so the 20 amp outlets are used for the sound system alone.

They look like this:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-20-Amp-Commercial-Duplex-Power-Outlet-White-R62-CBR20-00W/202066702

I don't mean to nitpick, but if you are looking for commercial grade quality and to stay within code, you can get one of these or similar, in 15A:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Industrial-Grade-Heavy-Duty-Self-Grounding-Duplex-Receptacle-Brown-5262-S/301361691

A few bucks cheaper and no worries about someone thinking it is actually a 20A capable circuit/outlet.