Restoring Heritage Labels

jorjen

Just something I enjoy doing along with a Heritage refurb/restoration. Do it every pair. Usually the finishing touch but I knocked this pair out upfront instead. Not hard thanks to some editing software but can be time consuming depending on the damage.

This set belongs to a pair of 1970 K-D-FB Bass cabinets that were beat to Shite. Getting a full restore job including veneer and enclosed backs. Will put up another thread for that.

When I am lucky and able to remove the labels intact using heat and a blade I throw them on my scanner. However if I begin to feel they are going to disintegrate I just take a photo and go from there. Prefer scanning of course.

Anyway, no big deal just thought I would share.

Before and after:

DSCN2792.JPG

Copy of DSCN27913H357.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Nice work.  How do you "age" the reproduced label paper?

Thanks Jim.

The label background maintains the current look unless I change it which is nice. Most of the time I change to white so they look clean, crisp and brand new like the cabinets they usually go on look. Laser print on heavy, adhesive backed label stock cut to original size.

Most of the time the labels are in far worse shape like these which were from a pair of 1968 B Style Lacquered Walnut Khorns that I restored about 15 years ago. This set took me more than two days to get just right.

File001.jpg

File0001.jpg

No write-ups. I do however try to maintain progress on my restorations/builds through photos. I have not kept all of them, but I think I still have photo files on two pairs of La Scala, three pairs of Heresey, one pair of Belle, two pair of Cornwall and two pair of Klipschorn.

I am in the middle of one of the pair of Klipschorn(bass bins only)as we speak. I have enclosed the backs on this pair only.

My last completely restored Khorns started life as a pair of B Style WL and ended up as Rosewood.

Just a couple shots:

DSCN0150.JPG

DSCN0320.JPG

DSCN0354.JPG

DSCN0318.JPG

• Like 1

You should check for leaks in those old bass bins. I found leaks by sealing the woofer slot then put the woofer door back on and putting air pressure into bass bin. One screw hole goes into the bass bin so easy to do. To fix the leaks I just mix up a little saw dust and glue and poured into where the leak was from the inside. Then turned it upside down and repeated the process. You don't want to block the passage way that goes into the slope boards though. Mine are 1972s not sure if the glue just dried out or it may have been abused.