HT, The Perfect Blend

derrickdj1

We are all chasing something.  What is the question when it comes to HT.  I have always said SQ is important but, aesthetics can't take a back seat.  I have alway felt that the audio system is not the room or the total atmosphere which imparts it's own signature to the experience and room.  What is you take on the subject?  I will give up some sound quality for aesthestics.  PQ I hold as a holy grail since this is HT and nothing can make a crappy viewing experience better.  How far you go for lighting, seating, etc.  Here is one example that I can't duplicate.https://www.houzz.com/photos/82371526/A-Perfect-Blend-traditional-living-room-new-york    I could do more up stairs but, the wife as sentence me to the basement like the Count of Monte Cristo.  I should be long lost and forgotten down here.  I can't even see outside daylight, yieks!

• Like 1

This actually is an interesting question for most of us.  I refuse to do corner bass traps, ceiling wall Tx and a few other things.  Even though I have an annoying ceilng mode at 36 Hz which gives me a hump in the FR.  2 ft. thick bass traps start making the room look like some listening laboratory of Simmon Bart Sinsiter.  I also will not paint the wall some awful color to dark for viewing.  That is just me.  Where do you draw the limits?  People should like this thread because it does not ask you to spend money: it may save you money in the long run, lol.

• Moderators

Good question, I agree with you about the picture, if it's not good the rest is not that important, sound second.

Many here have dedicated rooms, then I can see where the questions you asked make a big difference. For those of us with a Ht set up in a living room it's alot tougher and some things make no difference since the atmosphere can never be what a dedicated room could be.  

Living room here, so it's picture and sound, the rest is kind of what it is. I did put some moulding around three sides of the room a few inches below the roof, it looks like crown moulding that slipped down. Behind it is rope lights on a dimmer, it was done when we had a rear projection TV, because any lights would reflect off the shiny screen, the LED is great for not doing this. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, derrickdj1 said:

This actually is an interesting question for most of us.  I refuse to do corner bass traps, ceiling wall Tx and a few other things.  Even though I have an annoying ceilng mode at 36 Hz which gives me a hump in the FR.  2 ft. thick bass traps start making the room look like some listening laboratory of Simmon Bart Sinsiter.  I also will not paint the wall some awful color to dark for viewing.  That is just me.  Where do you draw the limits?

As far as the ceiling, the only thing I did see that i liked was what looked like a big city skyline upside down on the roof, little squares different lengths. But even that really stuck out, I guess it's all just personal choice and what's most important ? Some dark colors can look good but they are still dark and make the room darker when your not watching a movie, tough choices.

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

Many here have dedicated rooms, then I can see where the questions you asked make a big difference. For those of us with a Ht set up in a living room it's alot tougher and some things make no difference since the atmosphere can never be what a dedicated room could be.  

A dedicated HT is just that.  It has no other purpose and is limited in it's use.  I like the multipurpose rooms but, that's me.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

A dedicated HT is just that.  It has no other purpose and is limited in it's use.  I like the multipurpose rooms but, that's me.

I would think most dedicated HT room are used for more than movies ? If I had one I would set it up for more than just movies, a place to hang out with music at the very least. But your right that's still limited, and with dark paint you would need some really good lights for those non movie times.

If space allowed for it I would want a bar in it also, not necessarily for "drinks" but to sit or stand with people without everyone pointing toward the screen having to turn to see each other when talking  

There is just so much discussion on hiding gear behind screen, wall color, etc.  Where is the end point?  I love some of the dedicate HT that I have seen but, I prefer a more causal setting long term.  Many of them are also used for music but, sitting in rows  is not casual enough for this country kid.  Heck, I'm from the Heartland of America.

Another factor in HT, which is connected with visual aesthetics, is the seating closeness to the screen. For example a 55" screen requires one to be seated at 7-8 feet from the screen to get HDTV quality. Because of this we moved our HT room to our smaller former audio room.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html#anchor_13194

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

Uh, no room in our house comes anywhere close to that in the link.

hahaha, mine either.  but like what I think derrickdj meant - I do like  it, and if space & money were available, I might do something like it.  but neither space nor money are available for me, so there we are.

we use our living room area (open concept with kitchen & dining areas included in the space) as a multi-purpose area.  that, with the WAF, we ( I ) do the bet we can with it & enjoy

• Moderators
1 hour ago, -js- said:

we use our living room area (open concept with kitchen & dining areas included in the space) as a multi-purpose area.  that, with the WAF, we ( I ) do the bet we can with it & enjoy

Same here, open to kitchen and dining, but my wife loves huge speakers and plenty of them so we're good. She picked out the biggest we have, this helps put up the other general wife :pwk_bs:, she don't read in this section much, so I'm good, I think. :ph34r2:

• Like 4

It is all individual taste. I prefer a function over form room. My space is my space entirely to do as I please. Gear out, wires visible doesn't bother me. I am concerned with ideal speaker placement and picture quality for gaming, shows and movies. I am comfortable knowing the next owner can easily use the space for whatever they need. That said, I think a major upgrade will be darker paint, carpet and recessed lighting. I don't think I will black everything out, but it bothers me when a scene with a lot of light comes on and I instantly notice the reflected light off the ceilings, furniture, walls and carpet. I recently found some 1" x 24"x 48" sound panels. Not sure how effective they will be but once I change the fabric they should help with first reflections and also dimming the room.

On 6/27/2017 at 0:45 PM, dtel said:

On 6/27/2017 at 0:45 PM, dtel said:

I would think most dedicated HT room are used for more than movies ? If I had one I would set it up for more than just movies, a place to hang out with music at the very least

Ours is nothing fancy, but it is multipurpose.  We didn't set out to imitate a movie palace. It's not in a basement, but could have been.  We prioritized SQ.  It is a combination Home Theater, Music listening room, and Library.

It has very rigid walls (2 x 6s, 16" O.C. or less, 3/4 plywood, covered with 5/8" sheet rock, screwed and glued, staggered seams). The front of the window frames and blinds are flush with the walls, so nothing sticks out between the Khorns, which have plain wall for 4 feet, before the first small window. There are black-out shades behind the wood venetian blinds, and in front of double glazed windows, with the panes nearest the inside 1/4" thick.  All electronic components are in the "control position" back at the desk.  There are no dark painted walls; they were not needed, partly because the acoustically transparent retractable screen is out from the wall by about 1.5 feet.  The ceiling slopes from 8.5 feet in front (Khorns are rumored to need at least that height) up to 11' 10" at the back of the room.  The Khorns are to either side of the retractable screen, with a clear shot between them, behind the AT fabric screen (which probably doesn't count as an obstruction, anyway).  The screen is AT because there is a seated ear level modified Belle Klipsch and a subwoofer behind it (if you're wondering how the Belle can fit, its rear  protrudes into a double walled bump-out behind the screen, extending into the back garden).  The 5 seat couch is the MLP & MVP.  Directly behind it is the centered desk, where I can work with a sound image stretching front wall wide in front of me.  The side and rear walls (except up near the Khorns) have book shelves (not cases, so as not to obstruct), with art objects and many books.  The projected image is marvelous, and the sound is blow away great, IMHO.

I recommend an acoustically transparent screen, 2.35:1, and a projector, if there is any way to afford it.  Ours is 130" wide, and all 10 aspect ratios fit on it, with all except 3 rare ones filling the screen from top to bottom ("Common Height").  With 2.35 and common height, Panavision, CinemaScope, the wide version of Super 35, 70 mm, and others the filmmakers intend to be BIGGER than 1.85:1, 1.78:1 (16 x9) 1.66:1, and 1.37:1, are BIGGER.