Amsterdam Creep Cam

Zen Traveler

40 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

we're becoming a nation of wimps. I'm not in favor of mocking people and think we should all be respectful; but there are a lot bigger problems in the world than hurt feelings. 

Sorry, but that's BS, imo! The reason people get bent out of shape is the incivility that seems to be running rampant instead of actually discusing or even debating something contentious. The reason the last rendition of the BS FORUM got closed was because of derogatory comments ABOUT someone and Klipsch (and mods) didn't want to deal with that kind of banter. It never was about "discussing politics," per se.

Fwiw, the reason I left the Heritage Facebook group was because of that BS and I DO have a thick skin but don't want to engage with internet bullies any longer.

50 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Thank you.  I miss the place.

You're welcome and I do to. :) Otoh, every day new walking and being-there biking videos are released from several sources--in 4k they look excellent on the big screen. It makes me think these videos would be awesome virtual reality video, but I know nothing about how to achieve it.

5 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Sorry, but that's BS, imo! The reason people get bent out of shape is the incivility that seems to be running rampant instead of actually discusing or even debating something contentious. The reason the last rendition of the BS FORUM got closed was because of derogatory comments ABOUT someone and Klipsch (and mods) didn't want to deal with that kind of banter. It never was about "discussing politics," per se.

Fwiw, the reason I left the Heritage Facebook group was because of that BS and I DO have a thick skin but don't want to engage with internet bullies any longer.

what are you talking about?  I said people SHOULD BE respectful and NOT mock others and you think that is BS.  Dude, I just don't get you sometimes. 

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

what are you talking about?  I said people SHOULD BE respectful and NOT mock others and you think that is BS.  Dude, I just don't get you sometimes. 

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

we're becoming a nation of wimps. I'm not in favor of mocking people and think we should all be respectful; but there are a lot bigger problems in the world than hurt feelings. 

I agree we shouldn't "mock people," but the "wimps" are those that do and "hurt feelings," are among the things that happen along with threads getting shut down. I contend incivility is a bigger problem and we should worry about OTHER people's feelings. Fwiw, it seemed you were blaming those who had been insulted by uncivil behavior.

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Oh! I saw the last post was mine over a year ago and nothing like what you described in MY first post. Weird to pic this topic to preach but thanks for cleaning it up.

Put the bong down. No clue what this is supposed to mean. No idea who the OP is here as I didn't look.

Dave

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

Fully agreed. People who cannot violently disagree respectfully lose their freedom. 

Dave

Here is the post I did not approve. The theology is way off base and the guy was proselytizing. IMHO, even as a religious person, Jesus is dead, dead, dead. 

Great website you have got here. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your blog site it really helps a lot and must visit kanye west merch jesus is king .

agree we shouldn't "mock people," but the "wimps" are those that do and "hurt feelings," are among the things that happen along with threads getting shut down. I contend incivility is a bigger problem and we should worry about OTHER people's feelings. Fwiw, it seemed you were blaming those who had been insulted by uncivil behavior.

I wasn't casting blame on anyone. I bite my tongue a lot because I do care about other's feelings. insulting people serves no purpose. we've talked enough on here that you can pick up that I focus more on a response than the initial event, for some reason that interests me more. While insulting someone doesn't get us anywhere, neither does crying that we've been hurt; but that doesn't at all mean that I approve of the insult -- I don't, I just don't like a cry baby response. we're going to be mocked and hurt in this world and as much as I wish it weren't the case, it is and that's just the way it is. Me cying about an insult doesn't make it less painful and I'll bet it rarely makes the offender feel bad -- it probably emboldens them to keep on. 

I taught my kids that to the extent  possible, ignore a jerk insulting them. Jerks want to a reaction ... like us crying about it, that's why they do it. 

12 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Me cying about an insult doesn't make it less painful and I'll bet it rarely makes the offender feel bad -- it probably emboldens them to keep on. 

My point is there are rules and when they are allowed to be broken then the offender wins.

12 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

taught my kids that to the extent  possible, ignore a jerk insulting them. Jerks want to a reaction ... like us crying about it, that's why they do it. 

I agree to a point, but I make a living teaching people how to deal with bullies especially if they are trying to manipulate the situation. On the internet there are too many "manly men," (sic) hiding behind keyboards and  they are the ones who have our conversations shut down on this forum. Btw, you are a nice guy who doesn't get nasty. 

I agree we shouldn't "mock people," but the "wimps" are those that do and "hurt feelings," are among the things that happen along with threads getting shut down. I contend incivility is a bigger problem and we should worry about OTHER people's feelings. Fwiw, it seemed you were blaming those who had been insulted by uncivil behavior.

Mocking dumb ideas is not uncivil. Those whose feelings get hurt about that are irrational as ideas must be based on logic. I have no desire to hurt anyone's feelings but it is NOT my job to be their analyst.

Dave

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Here is the post I did not approve. The theology is way off base and the guy was proselytizing. IMHO, even as a religious person, Jesus is dead, dead, dead. 

Great website you have got here. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your blog site it really helps a lot and must visit kanye west merch jesus is king .

Fwiw, that seems to be a marketing spam as much as any proselytizing...Regardless it definitely needed to be flagged. 

6 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Mocking dumb ideas is not uncivil. Those whose feelings get hurt about that are irrational as ideas must be based on logic. I have no desire to hurt anyone's feelings but it is NOT my job to be their analyst.

Dave

Fwiw, I have been on the receiving end of folks mocking my ideas and held my own against them until it got old. In fact I did for 15 years here while only complaining to point out those comments added nothing to the conversation until YOU warned me that I went over the line when I addressed someone accordingly. 

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I have been on the receiving end of folks mocking my ideas and held my own against them until it got old.

If I was one of those I apologize. If ideas do not hold up to parsing I will point out the issues, but not mock the person. If the person cannot respond with logic then I just engage someone else who can. The whole point of debate is to have fun and learn. A priest who couldn't handle logic would not last long.

Dave

31 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

My point is there are rules and when they are allowed to be broken then the offender wins.

in the forum game, yes they do win.  in real life, I think we all can identify those types and they not only have no respect; but they sacrificed their credibility -- so they lose in the long run. But, I see your point and pretty much agree. 

32 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Btw, you are a nice guy who doesn't get nasty. 

mess with my family and you'll see a whole different me.   😀. I made clear to my kids the difference between a physical attack and a psychological attack and how to respond accordingly.  Again, I think we agree more than disagree. I'd still buy you a Stella. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mallette said:

I will point out the issues, but not mock the person.

I learnt that in the military. had to "counsel" a problem child one day and my boss told me on the ride in to work, "remember to stress that we're disappointed with his behavior not him as a person.  we like him, we don't like what he did."  

I was told once that we stop learning when we stop trying to understand. I agree with that and that plays a role in why I'm so interested in the "why" a person does something more than "what" they did.  that is frustrating because I've found that few want to tell you why -- they just want to tell you what.  telling you the why means they have to reveal more about themselves than many are comfortable doing.