Well crud... One CF-3 tweeter has less highs than the other

avguytx

I know my hearing is jacked up on high frequency but one has more upper HF than the other does.  I've swapped RCA's and also swapped speaker leads around and it stays to the same (left) speaker.  I guess when I get home tonight I'll swap the horn/driver from one cabinet to another to see if it follows the driver or if it's a potential crossover issue...which is doubtful.  It's only been recapped and new Mills resistors.  Guess we'll find out later if I need a new K-63-N a.k.a "needle in a haystack" in finding one, once in a blue moon, or, as John Candy said, "I''d probably stand a better chance of finding a 3 legged ballerina than finding a K-63" or "you've have a better chance of playing pick up sticks with your butt cheeks than finding a K-63".  I know the EV drivers work but I like these just fine.

You get the idea...

• Like 1

I've replaced my CF-4 K-63's with EV DH1506. Used they cost about $200 pair shipped if you can find them. It's an upgrade IMO but the enclosure needs some beefing up.  I sold both my K-63s to a forum member some time ago.

I have also heard the Denovo DNA-360 and it's a really close match for the K-63.  It's $80 new.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/compression-drivers/dna-360.html

Here's an article comparing the DNA-360 to the K-63-N written by one of AVSforum's most brilliant contributors:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1527228-seos-12-vs-klipsch-horn-i-did-bad-thing.html

I had seen those mentioned earlier when I was home for lunch and listening to the CF-3's and looking up diaphragms, etc.  I know it will be tough to find something that will work the same as the K-63 but those might be a viable option.

Sometimes I just want to sell off the older stuff I have an buy a new pair of Forte 3's and be done with it.  Bought/built a new tube amp earlier this year (VTA ST-70) and just replaced my Carver C-1 preamp with BillD modifications with a new Onkyo P-3000R which has been great.  I don't pay retail for anything stereo related; haven't in the past 30 years and won't now.  I know 15+ Klipsch dealers over a 8 state area that I can call if need be.  I wouldn't have bought a new P-3000R at retail, either so that was an easy choice for me to make.

Decisions, decisions...

5 hours ago, billybob said:

Just checking to see if you have tried a different power source just for the heck of it.

Thanks and good fortune!

I had been using the VTA ST-70 since I'd finished the build back in February and had noticed it then too. I'd swapped output tubes and input tubes around with no change. So yesterday, I decided to hook up my horsepower amp back up; Carver M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 @ 460wpc. It definitely runs the snot out of them and sounds great doing it. The CF's love power. I may biamp them one day with the Carver on low end and ST-70 on highs since the Onkyo P-3000R has a handy dandy biamp level adjustment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Let me know what you find out, I may just have an extra k-63 laying around if you need / want one.. :ph34r:

It does follow the tweeter after swapping sides. I was wondering at first if it was going to be the crossover network in some way. They still sound great but even with my less than stellar HF hearing,  I can tell. I had my wife listen too and she confirmed; not awful but noticeable. Thanks foe that offer! 

Still pondering a pair of Forte 3's instead of building Belle clones. Just not sure. I know it's a completely different presentation. 

After switching speakers around, left to right/right to left, I found my issue and feel rather foolish but will admit my findings. I'm getting reflections from the left speaker off of the leather recliner apparently. Sheesh. The left one is also 5 feet from a side wall where the right one is more open to the right where the entry way is and dining room. One day I'll have speakers in a room, again, that are not close to furniture and chairs. I guess I'm good to go. 

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. 

• Like 2