Klipsch KG SW passive subwoofer wanted

Brandon78

I am looking to buy a Klipsch KG SW passive subwoofer in walnut finish to complete my vintage KG speaker setup.

I live in Ontario, Canada and can’t find any for sale. 

Please let me know if you have one or know of anyone who is willing to sell theres. I will gladly pay for shipping.

29821DA7-B9D8-44FB-BBED-1102569A9DE8.jpeg

Edited by Brandon78

Good luck finding one. I'm the person who originated the other thread you posted on.

It took me over a year, but I won an eBay auction for a kg sw subwoofer and the seller was willing to ship from Georgia to Connecticut. I paid roughly 150$, shipping included.

There are/were two available on eBay recently but alas; they were local pickup only and they were black.

My only advice is to keep watching eBay and Craigslist (I'm looking for a second one!). You can perform nation-wide Craigslist searches HERE.

If you ever find one, post back with your opinion.

14 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Good luck finding one. I'm the person who originated the other thread you posted on.

It took me over a year, but I won an eBay auction for a kg sw subwoofer and the seller was willing to ship from Georgia to Connecticut. I paid roughly 150$, shipping included.

There are/were two available on eBay recently but alas; they were local pickup only and they were black.

My only advice is to keep watching eBay and Craigslist (I'm looking for a second one!). You can perform nation-wide Craigslist searches HERE.

If you ever find one, post back with your opinion.

:emotion-21:

On 11/21/2017 at 11:34 AM, billybob said:

Me too!

I first had it in my basement where I work out and wrench on my bikes. The satellite speakers were Bose 161's, little twinky speakers with dual 2 1/4" drivers so obviously NO bass.

The kg sw made a tremendous difference. The low bass contribution was far beyond what I paid for it. Since the sub was more efficient than the Bose's, I had to attenuate the bass control on my receiver to match the sub to the satellites' level. I played with the position of the sub; ports facing the room, facing the wall. Facing the wall definitely increases output but that increased output shifts in frequency based on how far from the wall the ports are. The kg sw subwoofer is like having a pair of kg 3.2's in one box.

Most recently, I brought it upstairs and paired it with my Heresy II's. The contribution is more subtle, but most of my listening is FM where there's not as much low frequency content. Ideally I'd connect the sub to the 2nd channel outputs of my amp so I could shut off the sub for comparison purposes, but here's the rub: If the Heresy II's are connected to the high pass output of the kg sw, then all the low pass information comes from the sub. If I were to connect the kg sw to the 2nd channel outputs, I would have even greater bass because the Heresy II's would continue to run full-range, ADDING to the sub's output. As it stands, the kg sw adds a seamless, valuable 1/2 octave to the low end of my Heresy II's. You'd swear all that low end is coming from the Heresy II's but it's the little box in the corner. It's not a boomy bass, either.

So the lower your existing speakers go, the less the kg sw subwoofer will have to offer. I just like the fact the kg sw is passive, as I hate consuming power no matter how little, when a powered sub is in standby mode. Don't think of the kg as a home theater subwoofer as it doesn't reach the 20Hz range for rumbles and explosions, but it will definitely extend the range of your current speakers. Most of the time you'll swear it's not working, but if you do the "Channel 2" arrangement mentioned above, you'll see otherwise.

As for the eBay seller with the kg sw; I tried contacting the Alabama seller a while ago when the sub was up for auction, trying to persuade him to ship it. I too, never heard back.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I first had it in my basement where I work out and wrench on my bikes. The satellite speakers were Bose 161's, little twinky speakers with dual 2 1/4" drivers so obviously NO bass.

The kg sw made a tremendous difference. The low bass contribution was far beyond what I paid for it. Since the sub was more efficient than the Bose's, I had to attenuate the bass control on my receiver to match the sub to the satellites' level. I played with the position of the sub; ports facing the room, facing the wall. Facing the wall definitely increases output but that increased output shifts in frequency based on how far from the wall the ports are. The kg sw subwoofer is like having a pair of kg 3.2's in one box.

Most recently, I brought it upstairs and paired it with my Heresy II's. The contribution is more subtle, but most of my listening is FM where there's not as much low frequency content. Ideally I'd connect the sub to the 2nd channel outputs of my amp so I could shut off the sub for comparison purposes, but here's the rub: If the Heresy II's are connected to the high pass output of the kg sw, then all the low pass information comes from the sub. If I were to connect the kg sw to the 2nd channel outputs, I would have even greater bass because the Heresy II's would continue to run full-range, ADDING to the sub's output. As it stands, the kg sw adds a seamless, valuable 1/2 octave to the low end of my Heresy II's. You'd swear all that low end is coming from the Heresy II's but it's the little box in the corner. It's not a boomy bass, either.

So the lower your existing speakers go, the less the kg sw subwoofer will have to offer. I just like the fact the kg sw is passive, as I hate consuming power no matter how little, when a powered sub is in standby mode. Don't think of the kg as a home theater subwoofer as it doesn't reach the 20Hz range for rumbles and explosions, but it will definitely extend the range of your current speakers. Most of the time you'll swear it's not working, but if you do the "Channel 2" arrangement mentioned above, you'll see otherwise.

As for the eBay seller with the kg sw; I tried contacting the Alabama seller a while ago when the sub was up for auction, trying to persuade him to ship it. I too, never heard back.

I messaged the guy on eBay who has a black one and have not received any reply. I doubt I will as it looks as though he only does local pickup

Hey Billybob 

Thanks fit the info. I plan on running it with a pair of KG4s and a pair of KG1s. This pairing sounds really good however I feel as though it could use just a bit more on the bottom end. The suggestion you had about running the sub on the second channel is a great idea that way I won’t loose the nice subtle lows that the KG 4s produce.

cheers

B.

1 hour ago, Brandon78 said:

Hey Billybob 

Thanks fit the info. I plan on running it with a pair of KG4s and a pair of KG1s. This pairing sounds really good however I feel as though it could use just a bit more on the bottom end. The suggestion you had about running the sub on the second channel is a great idea that way I won’t loose the nice subtle lows that the KG 4s produce.

cheers

B.

Good; I'm glad my idea of putting the kg sw on the 2nd channel made sense. When you finally score one, let the forum know whether it works.

• Like 1

Skunked today

So I got a lead on a mint KGSW which panned out to be to risky for me. I asked for the price and a picture of the unit. I was sent a picture of a beautiful mint condition KG SW, and the price was right, naturally I was excited. I figured it was as good as sold to me. Now here's were it feel apart. The person wanted money sent through moneygram and wouldn't except any other forms of payment which meant I had no protection.  Then I was looking up KG SWs on the net and found the exact same pictures I was sent from a site that sold one years ago here in Canada. When I asked him he told me that he grabbed them off the internet because he doesn't have a good phone to take pictures. PASS! Why wouldn't you just say you don't have a picture in the first place, now even if he actually has the unit I feel I cant trust any photos I get, also who doesn't except Paypal or Electronic Bank Transfers

Damn..... I though I was so close

Hey Billybob 

cheers

B.

15 hours ago, Brandon78 said:

GoodHey Billybob 

cheers

B.

Yes man but not much at all from me, sorry. Looks like Peter P.did  did some decent info.

Good  job dodging scammers. Item rarish  as per sale. Think you know unlikely one going to pop up

near out of the blue. If someone see's one. likely to recall your interest.

Welcome to the forum, BTW

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get one.

Its a little beat up cosmetically but with some TLC is will be beautiful again. I’m gonna take it apart and give it a good cleaning. I also want to check out the speakers and crossover to make sure everything is as it should be. Thanks to everyone who gave advice and input. You guys are all worthy of the Klipsch name.

Cheers

Brandon

13 minutes ago, Brandon78 said:

Finally managed to get one...

Brandon

Let me know if you have any difficulty removing the bottom. I couldn't remove the bottom of mine after removing the screws. I wondered whether the bottom was glued as well as screwed. I wanted to remove the port tubes so I could sand and refinish the cabinet, but one of them is stuck.

Don't forget to take before/after pics of your project, and post a review of its performance. I'm listening to my Heresy II's/kg subwoofer pair right now and frankly, I like it more than the kg 4.2's I just bought last week.