MAC 4100 tidy up

USNRET

I found a MAC4100 receiver locally (rarely find anything around here) and it had issues with the FM tuner. Scratchy when knob turned, tuning meter far right when station tuned in and drift. Also had a sluggish power button.

I found a really informative thread on AKarma about tuner cleaning and ordered up some DeOxit, picked up some canned air (why so $$?) and non-residue leaving contact cleaner. The mail man delivered last night.

Kiddos away so I decided to open up the MAC this morning. I found corrosion on the shaft to frame clips shown in the blurry photo below (close work inside there). I blew out the variable capacitor fins and applied the contact cleaner to them. Next I dropped a very small amount of the DeOxit fade lube to the corrosion spots (instantly dissolved the corrosion) and then swept the tuning knob through back and forth several times.

Closed the top / opened the bottom and applied DeOxit D5 to the push buttons. Viola, all switches responded with smooth positive changes.

Closed it up and gave it a test run with the KG 1.5s and a 3' antenna wire. Works wonderfully! No tuning noise, station lock on where it should be and meter centered. Took about an hour.

Tuning gang corrosion.jpg

Cleaning stuff (1).jpg

MAC 4100_1.jpg

• Like 2