JBL L100

Kdenn011

26 minutes ago, Kdenn011 said:

These century model JBLs leave me wanting.

That's a classic speaker highly sought after by collectors.  I heard a pair and I thought they sounded pretty nice.  I don't remember what the reviews said about the JBL Century, but I think there are couple different versions of them, kinda like the La Scala.

I think one of the problems is if you need drivers, there aren't many on the used market.  I don't remember if the rubber surrounds disintegrate, but I'm almost sure the foam grills do.  Fortunately they are readily available as an aftermarket item, $250 pair shipped, Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-L-100-CENTURY-FOAM-QUADREX-SPEAKER-GRILLE-INSERTS-L100-BRAND-NEW-PERFECTION/282752931022?hash=item41d56354ce:g:8voAAOSwurZZE0re

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Good luck.

22 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That's a classic speaker highly sought after by collectors.  I heard a pair and I thought they sounded pretty nice.  I don't remember what the reviews said about the JBL Century, but I think there are couple different versions of them, kinda like the La Scala.

I think one of the problems is if you need drivers, there aren't many on the used market.  I don't remember if the rubber surrounds disintegrate, but I'm almost sure the foam grills do.  Fortunately they are readily available as an aftermarket item, $250 pair shipped, Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-L-100-CENTURY-FOAM-QUADREX-SPEAKER-GRILLE-INSERTS-L100-BRAND-NEW-PERFECTION/282752931022?hash=item41d56354ce:g:8voAAOSwurZZE0re

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Good luck.

I’m quite aware of what the ‘century’ line up is all about - your LaScala anolgy works. A buddy owns the Jubal. They are an awesome speaker. I find the color tones really appealing. 

I guess I’m a collector soughting. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

If you are relatively close, and they are in good shape, especially the woofers, then I would go for it. Why not? 

8 hours north. And I’m over on budget right now. 

It seems like a great deal. Hope someone picks them up. 

9 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Agree. I listened to a pair for about a half hour several weeks ago, and was not impressed at all.

Yep. That's the camp I'm in. I've bought, and sold, 2 pairs of them through the years. Plus 2 pairs of HPM-100's. Some music, they are fun with but it gets old after awhile. Now, JBL L100T's and T3's are another story; I like those and own a pair of them. But everyone should try a pair once and make that decision. 

11 hours ago, avguytx said:

Yep. That's the camp I'm in. I've bought, and sold, 2 pairs of them through the years. Plus 2 pairs of HPM-100's. Some music, they are fun with but it gets old after awhile. Now, JBL L100T's and T3's are another story; I like those and own a pair of them. But everyone should try a pair once and make that decision. 

Edmond May deed speakers

if I recall correctly...they sold

100000 pairs in a ten year span..

and only the tweeter material changed...and the debate is which

tweeter sounded better....