updated B xo in a Heresy

mopardave

I have a pair of old Heresy's that I had robbed for parts back when I built my built my Cornwalls.  I think it was DeanG that gave me directions on building the xo for these Cornwalls using Sonicaps.  What id like to know is are the B xo compatible  with the Heresy?   I would like to use these B's in the Heresy and buy new xo for the cornwall, maybe Crites or even Alks.     Thanks

ok, that sounds interesting.  have to check the price on the woofers first.    My Heresy is the  1982 versions I believe. (138x212)      Not sure what mid is in these but I'm pretty sure there not k55.   Will my updated  B xo need any mods with these mids?  will be using k77 tweets.       Sounds like a nice winter project.     Will be driving these with tubes.

just pulled the back off. they do have k55's in them.    so, just need to install the ports with Delta Pro woofers and the B xo from my home brew Cornwalls.    Should be straight forward.  Found the Woofers for $109ea.         What would you suggest for new xo in the cornwalls?  Crites or Alks?    

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:54 PM, jimjimbo said:

If you go with the Super Heresy project, you can use the B networks straight up.

Just curious the Cornwall uses a 4 ohm woofer and the Heresy an 8 ohm woofer and the Eminence Delta Pro 12a is an 8 ohm driver, wouldn't the type "B" crossover be set up for a 4 ohm woofer and different from a modified type "E"? I just assumed that there would be a difference in power to woofer and possibly crossover point when using 4 ohm vs 8ohm? I'm really not sure and asking? Thanks.

40 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Just curious the Cornwall uses a 4 ohm woofer and the Heresy an 8 ohm woofer and the Eminence Delta Pro 12a is an 8 ohm driver, wouldn't the type "B" crossover be set up for a 4 ohm woofer and different from a modified type "E"? I just assumed that there would be a difference in power to woofer and possibly crossover point when using 4 ohm vs 8ohm? I'm really not sure and asking? Thanks.

Claude did the measurements, let's ask the expert!  @ClaudeJ1

Looking at the crossover schematics for the type B and type E crossovers they both use the same 2.5mh inductor on the woofer. This is interesting because of the different ohm rating of the woofers but since the woofers should be crossed over differently due to speaker design, Cornwall at roughly 600hz and Heresy at roughly 700hz I wonder if the math works itself out somehow? I guess output level matching for the drivers is done through horn output manipulation as the woofers are the weakest link either way in sensitivity so they are just ran wide open and horn output adjusted to match. I'm trying to find info or a calculator online now to help determine inductor size for crossover points and if the ohm rating of the woofer even matters, I've just always assumed that it does?

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The actual impedance for a K22 Heresy woofer is closer to 11 ohms. The Delta Pro 12a is 8 ohms, and the K33 varies a bit between  4-5.6 ohms, depending on what Heritage speaker it's in (Cornwall, Belle, LaScala, or Khorn). The same choke works for all of them because, as a first order low pass filter, the "exact" value is less critical than the other "legs" of the network rendered by the driver inductance, impedance, and mechanicals of the boxes they are bolted in, stuffings, etc.. In all cases that SINGULAR impedance number we seem to (overly at times) worry about varies tremendously with frequency. Basically, a user should just try a B network and see how it sounds, then adjust from there. Room acoustics and placement will have WAY more significance in the ACOUSTIC OUTPUT than any "wiggling" of the generic component values. Plus, the owner/listener owns the salt shaker, the soup, and, most importantly, the TASTE BUDS! (Hey, it's Christmas, so food analogies are appropriate on a tech. thread, OK?!

So, just TRY IT, listen to it, and turn it into a B2 if you think the midrange is too hot, but you might want to look to the K55 driver, since yours is an EV ceramic magnet version and not an Atlas with Alnico magnet version. This also the reason why I recommend Bob Crites Autoformer for the mid and tweeter horns, because we need to run the least efficient driver (always the woofer) without attenuation, and bring down the other two to match. Bob's Autofomer allows -1 db steps rather than -3db steps for attenuations and mid cap tunings. Use salt sparingly! LOL.

• Like 1