Can anyone tell me about AL 2 Crossovers?

absolve2525

I recently picked up a pair of Lascalas with these crossovers. Stamp dated 1988 underneath. I tested the electrolytic caps, and they measure fine. I was looking at the crossover diagrams on the main page, and these appear to be the same as AK3 but without a protection diode on the tweeter? If so, they should sound pretty good? Im still trying to figure out how all of these crossovers compare. Are AL crossovers interchangeable with AK crossovers? I have 89 KHorns that came with AK2. Those are split, with woofer crossover parts in the KHorn bass bin. I bought Crites AK 4500 for those, but picked up some AA with oil caps last last year too. It's my understanding that the AK2 cut the midrange more to accommodate the EV K55m. Which drivers were standard for use with the AL2? Thanks guys! 

Thanks for the info!  Strangely, these came with round magnet alnico K77 and K55V not M. Apparently, some blown parts were replaced at some point. One midrange is solder-type, the other is push-type. I was able to find replacements on here from another member, so I will have alnico K77 and a pair of solder type midrange drivers. Would AA be a better match for these drivers? My 89 Khorns came with EV "M"  drivers, and AK 2 crossovers. If I swapped out the AK2 for AL 2, what should I expect? Thanks! 

I don't have an AL-2 schematic, but based on the other, similar crossovers, an AK-2 should work  just fine in a La Scala.  The crossover points and response contouring will be a little different, but it should not be different enough to sound bad.  For your current configuration, Type AA would sound better.  The K-77-M is a better tweeter.  A B&C DE120 on a Fastrac tractrix tweeter horn is an even better tweeter and it *could* be crossed as low as 2k, but 5k would be better. 

• Like 1

In the low pass:

AK-2 uses 4mh/140uf

AL-2 uses 4mh/136uf

basically identical

In the midrange:

AK-2 uses T5A/-6dB and 4mh in parallel with the K-55-M
AL-2 uses T4A/-4dB and 5mh in parallel with the K-55-M

Tweeter sections are identical

I would imagine the midrange sections to sound quite different. Interesting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Deang said:

I guess I just didn't understand the question then -- why would you want to run a LaScala network in a Klipschorn, or visa-versa?

I was trying to get a grasp of the differences between the crossover types and what is suitable for a Khorn vs LaScala. AL2 vs AK2 vs AA. You can use an AA in either, right? I figured you could do the same with the others. If there is special contouring involved for respective model, then that makes sense. Thanks!