Enough receiver for now?

vasubandu

10 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Yeah, I have heard that all my life.  It still helps every time I hear it, and I appreciate the reminder.

Glad to help.  It is so easy to get caught up in the this is "better" than that and you don't want that you want "this", etc, etc, etc.  As you can see from my rigs, there is definitely something "better" out there but for the most part, I am very happy with the electronics and speakers in there respective rooms.

15 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Off to pick up the 50.6 now.

Good for you.:emotion-21:

Bill

On 1/27/2018 at 4:01 PM, willland said:

Glad to help.

Hi ...hoping to "tap into" your expertise (as well as "others")  :)  Need to replace (OK; just "want to" replace) my AVR since my piece of s**t does not have pre-outs and want to feed my separate amp inputs from the AVR. Do not use an AVR much. Most TV listening is done through (horrible) TV speakers.

Had selected a Marantz SR-5011 from A4less (only $450), but a little more searching gave me an Intregra DTR 50.3 for ONLY $300 at the same please. The Integra seems "excellent." Note; know there are much better AVR's, but I am constrained by the "depth" in my "rack" (can only do 15" deep).

Have a 7.1 setup with KG3.2's, KG1.5's, KV2 center, 4 cuft bass box and Cornwall's as rears. Also 2.0 with my new KPT-904's on a Marantz 2252B. (Yes; that's why the Cornwall's went to the "back." :) )

Many, many thanks!

Cheers, Emile :) 

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Hi ...hoping to "tap into" your expertise (as well as "others")  :)  Need to replace (OK; just "want to" replace) my AVR since my piece of s**t does not have pre-outs and want to feed my separate amp inputs from the AVR. Do not use an AVR much. Most TV listening is done through (horrible) TV speakers.

Had selected a Marantz SR-5011 from A4less (only $450), but a little more searching gave me an Intregra DTR 50.3 for ONLY $300 at the same please. The Integra seems "excellent." Note; know there are much better AVR's, but I am constrained by the "depth" in my "rack" (can only do 15" deep).

Have a 7.1 setup with KG3.2's, KG1.5's, KV2 center, 4 cuft bass box and Cornwall's as rears. Also 2.0 with my new KPT-904's on a Marantz 2252B. (Yes; that's why the Cornwall's went to the "back." :) )

Many, many thanks!

No expert here but sure will try to help.  I really think both you mention above will meet most of your TV watching needs and perform pretty well for music/movies.  What outboard amp are you going to use with this AVR?

Bill

4 minutes ago, willland said:

What outboard amp are you going to use with this AVR?

A vintage Marantz 2252B ... or maybe my Bob Latino ST70 tube amp (but don't think I have enough "ventilation" inside this cabinet for "tubes.)

Thanks, Emile

11 minutes ago, willland said:

I really think both you mention above will meet most of your TV watching needs and perform pretty well for music/movies.

Yeah ... think either one would be OK. But at $300 - original MSRP $1400 (and 40 POUNDS) the Integra just sounds like a "steal."

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Yeah ... think either one would be OK. But at $300 - original MSRP $1400 (and 40 POUNDS) the Integra just sounds like a "steal."

It definitely looks pretty potent and should easily drive your system.

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Emile said:

a little more searching gave me an Intregra DTR 50.3 for ONLY $300

Hey there, I am sort of in the same boat as you are, and I sought advice here, which I took way too far.  I was prepared to buy a Marantz SR6011 for $730 at A4less, and then an Integra DTR-50.6 popped up for $200 locally.  I am still trying to figure out how to get it to play on all of my channels the way I want, but it is a full featured receiver.  I think that the .3 is two levels lower than the .6, and the 50 series is new enough that some of them have Atmos.  If I might offer an observation, these come on the market quite often, and i see a lot of 80.3 in particular.  Any 50.3 you buy will be refurb, which means used anyway. It might take a while, but you could find a great deal.  If you have a separate amp that meets your needs, Integra also made the exact same thing as a preamp under the name DHC.  A DHC-80.6 just sold on eBay for $700.  

I am not encouraging you to get more than you need, just to check your local resources and maybe take some time to see if you get a sweet deal. They are out there.

Looking at the closed listings on ebay

50.4 for $130

50.6  for $260

70.4 for $275

70.4 for $390

50.3 for $250

70.4 for $390

70.4 for $345

I found that focusing my looking to 2 brands (integra and Marantz) made it easy to monitor things.  Best of luck out there.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Hey there, I am sort of in the same boat

Thanks a lot! Yes, wanted a bigger/better one than the SR6011 or 50.3 but ... "component rack" (see pic) is not deep enough for the bigger/better ones :(  Max depth is 17 1/2 inch ... the Integra 50.3 is almost 15" deep ... and I have too much heavy duty wiring hookups behind it ... hope it fits :)

IMG_2009 - Copy.JPG

13 hours ago, vasubandu said:

an Integra DTR-50.6 popped up for $200 locally.  I am still trying to figure out how to get it to play

Hi vasubandu ... understand you have the 50.6 model :) Hope you can do me a BIG favor. Want to order the 50.3 from A4less (today) but there seems to be a discrepancy on the size, i.e. the DEPTH of this unit. Most websites show it as 14-13/16 inch ... but the manual shows it as 16-13/16 inch.  (In which case it does NOT fit in my rack ... and really do not feel like ordering it and then shipping it back :( )If you could check the depth dimension I would extremely appreciate it.

Many, many thanks!

2 hours ago, Emile said:

If you could check the depth dimension I would extremely appreciate it.

@Emile, the 50.6 is exactly 17 inches wide, 8 inches tall (including the bottom nobs, and EXACTLY 16.5 inches deep.  Bear in mind that is the box and does not include the distance that the jacks stick out the back.

And by the way, I recall you have a KPT-904. I have become friends with @EpicKlipsch who lives in Germany.  In fact, I am even sending him the CF-3 that I picked up so cheaply on Craigslist because they are prohibitively expensive there.  He just mentioned that a guy there has what he called the JBL equivalent of the KPT-905, and I suggested that he contact you for some information about using that kind of speaker for home theater.  Hope you don't mind.

5 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

the 50.6 is exactly 17 inches wide, 8 inches tall (including the bottom nobs, and EXACTLY 16.5 inches deep

vasubandu, thanks a lot! Yes :( too "deep" for my cabinet :( So; decided to get a Marantz SR5011 ... did one last check and DARN :( no phono inputs on that model :(  Not my day :( Going to have some wine (later; 5pm) and think about it. Probably best to make my cabinet deeper - real pain in the a**.

No problem with helping your German friend :) That'swhat we are here for :) 

Cheers, Emile

@Emile ins a situation like that, I would recommend some Chateau Neuf du Pape, and frankly, when you open a bottle like that, you really don't want it to sit opened overnight.

Thanks for offering to help @EpicKlipsch - He said that some guy has 8 JBLs and wants about $2,000 apiece.  Sounds pricey to me.

Couldn't you just use a Phono pre amp with the 5011 - like this one? https://www.turntablelab.com/products/pro-ject-phono-box-mm-phono-pre-amp

Also, it looks like the 6011 has a phone in input for  moving magnet. So for another $300 at A4Less you might sold your problem.

Don't listen to phono myself. I do still have a ton of records from the 60s so maybe I should  Wonder what Wild Thing would sound like with a good system.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

when you open a bottle like that, you really don't want it to sit opened overnight.

Correct ... finish it ... never leave open bottles :) 

$2000 EACH for JBL's? Yeah, pretty pricey ... but "stuff" is expensive in Germany/Europe.

Havent used my turntable in the TV room for about a year ... so yes, could use a phono pre-amp ... another gadget to add :(  The Marantz 6011 does not fit in my cabinet :( wahhh.

Cheers, Emile

20 minutes ago, Emile said:

Correct ... finish it ... never leave open bottles :) 

$2000 EACH for JBL's? Yeah, pretty pricey ... but "stuff" is expensive in Germany/Europe.

Havent used my turntable in the TV room for about a year ... so yes, could use a phono pre-amp ... another gadget to add :(  The Marantz 6011 does not fit in my cabinet :( wahhh.

Cheers, Emile

If you don't need Atmos there are many better and smaller sized options than Marantz can provide with and without a built in phono stage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emile said:

vasubandu, thanks a lot! Yes :( too "deep" for my cabinet :( So; decided to get a Marantz SR5011 ... did one last check and DARN :( no phono inputs on that model :(  Not my day :(

Just order one of these or a moving coil model.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/projphonoboxmmbla/pro-ject-phono-box-mm-phono-preamplifier-for-moving-magnet-cartridges/1.html

Bill

• Thanks 1

OK; now I am REALLY CONFUSED :(  Was looking to upgrade my Onkyo TX-NR646 since it has no pre-outs (except sub and zone2). So; started looking at the Marantz SR5011 and Integra 50.4 so I would have something else to play with while the wife is gone on a trip.  Both these models have "full" pre-outs and zones. So, ??? if I hookup my vintage amp to the "full" pre-outs of the AVR (FL/FR, center, rears, etc ...) ... hooking it up to FL/FR of this set of pre-outs, do I get all the sound for a 2.0 channel or only the FR/FL as massaged by the AVR (i.e. missing the rest of the signal)????

Many thanks, Emile