Enough receiver for now?

vasubandu

1 hour ago, vasubandu said:

@willland There is an 80.6 on eBay up for auction at $699 right now. Would that be the same thing but better?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142659214385?rmvSB=true

Yes an updated version that does 4K pass thru and Atmos.  The reviewer below does mention that Integra down graded some of it's platform most likely to accommodate the added 4K and Atmos features.  Also Integra uses it's proprietary EQ instead of Audyssey XT32.  Still these Integras continue to be a go to brand when it comes to custom install HT systems.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/processors/integra-dhc-80-6-processor-review/

One thing to mention is that the 80.3 from A4Less does come with a 2 year warranty where the Ebay 80.6 may not.

5 hours ago, vasubandu said:

@willland in your opinion would the 80.6 offer something that the 6011 would not or be better in some way? 

You are second guessing yourself.  Perfect is the enemy of good.  B)

I suggest you stay away from used Onkyo and Integra, which is owned by Onkyo.  There is a well known factory defect with the older Onks (including mine) in that the Onk used a chip which was known to fail with heat and caused the HDMI boards to malfunction.

The Integra 80.3 had a well known problem of shutting down.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1579962-official-integra-dhc-80-6-pre-pro-thread.html

I was thinking along the same lines.  

Striving for perfection is maddening, and impossible to achieve.  

With home theater, it will never be perfect (or any theater).   Diminishing returns is a real thing, and you'll get there quickly when it comes to upgrading processors, amps and speakers. 

Find the point of compromise that strikes the right balance for your needs and wants.    

18 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Perfect is the enemy of good.

@wvu80 I hate it when you are right.  This is what happens to me when I have to wait a week.  I would have ordered it already, but @jjptkd ambushed me with those vertical RC-7.  He knows how much I love my RC-7 which I got from him anyway, and dangling two more in the form of towers was just cruel.  But you are entirely right.  I said I was done and I am done.  No more looking.  You have done your good deed for the day, so just knock off early and get a start on the weekend.

p.s. edited to include @bkevind.  Thanks to you too.  You guys have been so helpful.  Without all the help I have gotten here, my system would be a mess of on-wall speakers with a $300 receiver.  Or I would have a better system but no idea why.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I would have ordered it already, but @jjptkd ambushed me with those vertical RC-7.  He knows how much I love my RC-7 which I got from him anyway, and dangling two more in the form of towers was just cruel.  

Always happy to help!  :lol:  If you like the RC-7 you'll love them in the RF-5 cabinets. 

OK I think I have solved my receiver problem with something that fell into my lap. A guys has an Integra 50.6 and a bunch other stuff that he just wants to get rid of for $200.  It is 7.2 instead of 9.2, but its has 972 total watts of power and all of the features I could want. Thanks to everyone for helping me understand what to look for.

Not sure what the conversion is for Integra's, and there's more to it than just that as stated...however, I now own two Integra's (willland got me turned onto them), and both sound magical.  I highly recommend them and at $200 that's downright theft.  Good find!

Just now, vasubandu said:

Thanks @The History Kid. The 50.6 is a weird model.  I don't see any for sale, but they were $1,700 when they came out.  I think it will do just fine.

I just bought a 40.3, and have had a DTM-40.4 for 8 months or so (stereo receiver).  They handle music that have made my smaller speakers sound much bigger than they really are.  The DTM is currently powering a pair of RSX-5's, and they sound many times their size, and have a very full sounding range - something my other units can't reproduce.

7 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I could get a DHC 80.6 which is the preamp model that has the same features as the DTR 80.6 but no amp.  11.2, etc.  No idea if it makes sense.

I don't know about their preamps, but have been very impressed with their AVR's, and in the future - if I didn't have the choice of Rotel or Cambridge and wanted to go the AVR route, I'd definitely choose Integra.  My AVR days in my personal system are over, however - and none of the AVR's elsewhere in my house are candidates for replacement in the near future.

It does make me wonder why anyone with a good amp would want an AVR. You cannot blend the power, and you are always going to take the amp power over the AVR I would think. Maybe AVR for Atmos or something.  My Outlaw 7700 is 200 watts x 7 channels with all channels at maximum wattage simultaneously. In a 7.2 system, what am I going to hook up to AVR anyway, except maybe the subwoofers, and I really don't know how they factor in. For $200, I don't  care if it has amps, but I think that in the future I will look for preamps. You do know that Integra has preamps, right?  Or do I understand you to mean that you prefer Rotel and Cambridge preamps over anything else?

18 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

You do know that Integra has preamps, right?  Or do I understand you to mean that you prefer Rotel and Cambridge preamps over anything else?

I'm looking for better build than what Integra offers in my main setup.  That's where my best stuff goes to live.

7 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Thanks @The History Kid. The 50.6 is a weird model.  I don't see any for sale, but they were $1,700 when they came out.  I think it will do just fine.

@vasubandu,

That Integra 50.6 with the Outlaw amp would be incredible, so would the DHC-80.6/Outlaw combo.  I say go with the 50.6 for the incredibly low price that you can get it for, add the Outlaw and you are set.  For now?:unsure:

I know you have heard it before but don't overthink it.  The good thing about finding great deals is that you can demo gear for a while and decide if it is good enough or decide against keeping and resell for what you paid or for more and pocket the "profit".   Then get what you really want.

Case in point, in my family room system through much buying and selling and trading, I have around $23,000.00 worth(msrp) of gear which if my memory serves me correctly,  I only paid around $7500.00 for everything.  And that was over a 10 year period and does not include some of the "free" gear I have in other rooms.  Only two of those items, the RC-64 and Samsung 65", I bought brand new, the other pieces of the puzzle were obtained through c-list, Audiogon, Ebay, and from some members on this forum.  This current family room setup has remained fully intact for close to 5 years with the exception of the Oppo 105 and the 65" Samsung.

Bill