Microsoft Hololens users?

USNRET

Okies, did the research.  Developer's edition.  At 3k, you are unlikely to find many of your Forum friends with one.  Also, as it's running the typical Microsoft timeline of delay, delay, delay I suspect someone more nimble will beat them to the punch.  MS is even worse at hardware than at software.

Anyway, will still be awaiting your experiences.  This is definitely a technology that will have massive implications for all of us whenever it actually becomes available.  A minor, but important to many of us feature I expect to be incorporated, will be PC/smartphone programs that allow you to enter your eyeglass prescription into a pair so that you need not wear eyeglasses with them.  

Dave

The idea is to collaborate with the stress engineers back at the mother ship as we plan non-standard repairs on aircraft in the field. It's a pain now to take photos and mark up power point presentations. With these, they can see what I can see and have the lens make real time measurements. $3k was the price to developers, these cost $5k.

994C88FA-CB06-409F-8FB1-9CFDB57EF126.jpeg

48 minutes ago, USNRET said:

With these, they can see what I can see and have the lens make real time measurements.

Outstanding!  I don't think folks are ready for the leaps in efficiency, accuracy, and safety AR tech is going to bring.  I developed a plan before retirement to use them for oil rig engines and machinery maintenance.  The motorman would have a pair that would show the internal parts of the device, and, when it was operating, a microphone would send the sound to a server to be processed by a program that would control the internal parts and cause it to be at the estimated speed determined by the live audio feed.  Then, it occurred to me that one could also use it as a diagnostic tool using the live sound by creating a program what would suggest various possible issues from the audio feed.  That way, the motormen could wear it during their daily inspections as a predictive maintenance device.  Lord, I so enjoyed working on such things!  We'd barely begin to imagine the possibilities when I retired.  Rather doubt they continued it after my retirement as one of my fortes was, when being told "That can't be programmed..." was to ask "Are you telling me it can't be done, or that you don't know a way to do it?"  9 out of 10 times they'd figure it out one way or the other.  The other instance we'd find a work around...but I always found if you could chart it on a functional binary flowchart, it COULD be programmed.

As I said, keep us informed...I am eagerly awaiting finding out how it works for you guys.  

Dave

• Moderators

Would be helpful if it works out, if nothing else it looks like you are ready to blast off.

So if you wore these home and stopped off at a strip club or a girlfriends house would the others on the other end get a free ride. :o Just important questions I was wondering about, different applications that's all. Probably help increase sales of the device.

People would be "on the other end" only if you streamed the output.  And, unless they build a camera or cameras into HoloLens the others would only see the images your are overlaying...not the "reality" side.  HoloLens is basically a heads up display in stereo.  

Might mention that even after moving home I continued to think about HoloLens.  It will be a great tool for places with educational exhibits, like RMHC, to provide visitors so they could look at educational videos...or 3D objects...while not disturbing others by projecting the material a large screen presentation visible only to the user.  Added benefit is that they would still be able to watch their children...  Ultimately, places where they dedicate a theater to showing a repeated video, such as a battlefield museum, on a scheduled basis will save both space and money by providing these to users.  Same benefit of being able to watch their children or keep up with other in their group that may not care to sit through the video.  

Dave

Here's another good one.  AR tech for windshields would be able to not only provide you with speed, direction of travel, and notifications, as a navigation device it could overlay your upcoming exit ramp and such directly on the road without obscuring your vision.  With AV tech coming faster than expected this won't be a long lived feature but will be cooler than having to look at your little navigator screen in such situations.  

Dave