New Media Room

David___

Finally building out my new media room. It is ~14'x13' with a 10' ceiling.

TV will be a Sony XBR75X900E. Looking at the RP-250F, RP-260F or RP280F and a RP-450C in front. Is this too big for my space?

For the rear I am looking at the RP-240S or RP-250S. Couch is only 2' off the wall so these would almost be hanging above my head if they were mounted to the back wall. Same issue if they were mounted to the sides. (Side pictures in next post.)

This is the package I am looking at which seems like a deal based on my research so far. 5.2 with an option for 7.2 or 5.2.2 is nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Surround-Speakers-Acoustech-Subwoofer/dp/B0777RKG1V

Any suggestions or ideas?

front.jpg

rear.jpg

Edited by David___
  • Like 1

David__,

Welcome to the forum.

Very nice looking room and furniture.

Of the speakers mentioned, go with the largest setup you can afford.

As mentioned by @wuzzzer, mount side surrounds in similar fashion as illustration.  If you do decide to add rear surrounds later on, slide sofa/chair forward a few inches.

Bill

Will mounting the surrounds right below the sconces be an issue? They RP-250S would almost have to butt up against the one near the door to clear head-height. One would have to be mounted more forward than the other due to the angled wall. Maybe just remove the sconces and put the surrounds in their place? Proposed spots marked in red.

Screenshot_20180215-072049.jpg

Screenshot_20180215-072013.jpg

3 minutes ago, David___ said:

Will mounting the surrounds right below the sconces be an issue? They RP-250S would almost have to butt up against the one near the door to clear head-height. One would have to be mounted more forward than the other due to the angled wall. Maybe just remove the sconces and put the surrounds in their place? Proposed spots marked in red.

Screenshot_20180215-072049.jpg

Screenshot_20180215-072013.jpg

It depends. If you think you'll eventually go to a 7 channel system, you would want the side surround speakers slightly ahead of you, and the rears behind you. If you go 5 channel, your locations marked on the pic would work. That doorway might create a problem with a 7 channel setup.

Nice room. And like Youth said, go for the bigger speakers if you can. Thanks for the pics.

4 minutes ago, David___ said:

The easy way is to put them on the back wall. Studs already identified and of course it is already prewired. How much worse would that be?

What about above the sconces and more forward? It would put them against part of the ceiling, though.

They would work fine in back, but it would be a 5 channel setup, which is fine. Some people prefer 5 to 7 channel.

How big is the doorway to the left?  Can a speaker go in front of the door for a side surround, then you could have the rear for 7 channel.

Mounting the side surround on the column on the right side would work also, just not sure what's on the left side.

That system from Amazon looks great, except the subs. You might want to contact a Klipsch dealer and see what price they could do for you. Pick the Klipsch R-115SW sub instead. Cory Harrison, a member on here is a distributor, screen name @MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Like 1

I think I will try the back wall first. The boss is going to freak when she sees the size of these speakers. :lol: We are coming from a 6.0 in-ceiling system with a 10" sub. (I had a BIC F12 at one time but traded by Dad for his 10" sub after the kids were born.) Now that we have more space I can crank things up a little.

Is it worth it to skimp on the AVR and maybe get smaller fronts to get the Klipsch 15" sub over the two BIC 12". I was trying to stay around $3,000 for the system.

Edited by David___

Good question. There's a saying around here, get what you want the first time, saves you the time and money on upgrading later, plus you won't have that "what if" thought in your head. If you skimp on something now, and it doesn't do what you want it to do, it will cost more in the long run. Easy for me to say that, not my money :D

Some people want to buy it all at once, be done with it, and enjoy their system. Some want the best system they can get, even if it means buying it a few pieces at a time. 

Two larger towers, awesome AVR, and two smaller subs.......or......two smaller towers, lower grade AVR, and better subs? Tough decision actually. 

Myself....I went with the best speakers I could get at the time. I have 2 towers, a center, and a sub, but it sure sounds spectacular :D

So the only part of them system I am set on is the RP-450C. The RF-82 II at $458 for a pair out the door are tempting. Is the RP-280F much better?

On another note. Is the walnut color on the RP series so hideous that they have to be discounted?

Edited by David___

41 minutes ago, David___ said:

So the only part of them system I am set on is the RP-450C. The RF-82 II at $458 for a pair out the door are tempting. Is the RP-280F much better?

On another note. Is the walnut color on the RP series so hideous that they have to be discounted?

I have not personally heard any of the RP line, but I've heard others say how good they sound. The RP450c wouldn't match the RF82ll, the RC62ll is the matching center for the RF82ll. I can't imagine a walnut color being hideous. You might search the RP280 on here, there were lots of people giving good reviews.