12 VDC Trigger Question

rplace

Looking to make sure I fully understand the trigger usage on my Pre-Pro. Below are some pictures of the connection and the text from the manual. Am I correct that for Zone 1 I can use either the terminal block (screw connections) or the 1/8 inch mini jack? Both are trigger outputs? Also the screw connections on the left are for zone 2 with no 1/8" jack? There is no "trigger in" correct?

I'm waiting for the device that I want to trigger to arrive. Am I correct that I would need to use the OSD to set up BOTH the source and zone? Seems to read confusing to me:

The +12 VDC outputs are on whenever their zone is enabled

Do you all think that means any source in the zone or just the combo of source and zone together?

Thanks!

SunfireTrigger.JPG.e4ee5fa0999475c9faab49a1b96545ab.JPGSunfireTrigger2.JPG.7557b6b710b20485233226ed81369f82.JPG

Yes; you're right. Zone 1 can use either the screw terminals or the 1/8" jack. Just be sure to observe the +/- polarity.

Zone 2 only provides screw terminals; no 1/8" jack.

I don't see any trigger inputs in the diagram.

To answer the last question; all the sources in the zone would somehow have to be daisy-chained together to receive the 12V trigger, otherwise only the component directly connected to the zone trigger would activate.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Peter P. For the last question I don't think I worded it correctly. I get what you are saying about other sources (external devices like CD, DVD, LD, VCR) receiving the initial trigger and the need to be daisy chained together. What I was trying to ask was from the processors point of view. Say for example I want the Zone 1 trigger to turn on my DVD player I'd pick the source as DVD in the On Screen Menu of the processor. But the wording of the manual gives me the feeling that anything (any source that is) that is in zone 1 will also fire the trigger. So say I use the tuner in zone 1 will it also fire the trigger and turn on my DVD player? The tuner is "inside" the processor, not external. So I'm changing the source selector form DVD to tuner. Will the DVD turn off? If I start from everything off and go directly to tuner will the DVD player turn on....triggered because the tuner is in zone 1? Perhaps I'm overthinking it. Seems like trigger should be specific to the zone and source combination not anything in that zone.

I can tell you how mine works (McIntosh and Marantz). Each source has an option for Trigger. In use I have all inputs set to turn on trigger 1 as this trigger goes to my amp. My remote controls all the devices' power except the amp.

With only one trigger for the main zone you are correct in that anything connected would be turned on when anything powered trigger one.

With a universal remote I don't use triggering for anything but the amp.

5 minutes ago, rplace said:

Another Q. If using the screw terminals on both devices (no 1/8" jacks) can you use any wire as long as you pay attention to +/-?

Yes BUT you have to understand that using larger gauge wire (smaller diameter) that there will be some amount of voltage drop over the run.

For example I have about a 20' run from my preamp to the Niles speaker selector and tried using two pair of cat 5 cable (2 conductors per connector) and my McIntosh didn't deliver the power I needed to control the Niles. Since I had already made that cable and had an Emotiva ET-3 trigger module on hand, I made a short run from preamp to ET-3 and then used the 20' cat 5 to the speaker selector and it works fine.

You don't have this issue I don't think but the newer McIntosh use 3 conductor or stereo 1/8" plugs; one negative and two positive. one + turns on the unit and the other controls the LED lights in the faceplate and under the tubes.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I have a SPK1, it works well, plus it's rated for up to 600 watts!

Waiting for mine to arrive. If I read the description correctly The A is on by default. Does it takes the 12v trigger to switch to B or can it sense a signal in B and the trigger is optional?

I'm hoping to have my vinyl/analog/tube rig running on A most of the time with nothing to do. Nothing on that system has a trigger out. When I want to watch a movie on my solid state system I want my processor's trigger out to power the Niles AC-3 which will turn my Sub on automatically. Too much to type as to why, but lets just assume for now my sub is always plugged in and turned on 24-7-365. If the SPK-1 needs a trigger out there is a 2nd one on the processor and the Niles AC-3 or AC-6+ both have a trigger out as well. When I turn the HT stuff off assuming the SPK-1 will go back to A and I am back in business with analog and no buttons to push or hoops to jump through.

Anything I am missing?

18 minutes ago, rplace said:

Waiting for mine to arrive. If I read the description correctly The A is on by default. Does it takes the 12v trigger to switch to B or can it sense a signal in B and the trigger is optional?

I'm hoping to have my vinyl/analog/tube rig running on A most of the time with nothing to do. Nothing on that system has a trigger out. When I want to watch a movie on my solid state system I want my processor's trigger out to power the Niles AC-3 which will turn my Sub on automatically. Too much to type as to why, but lets just assume for now my sub is always plugged in and turned on 24-7-365. If the SPK-1 needs a trigger out there is a 2nd one on the processor and the Niles AC-3 or AC-6+ both have a trigger out as well. When I turn the HT stuff off assuming the SPK-1 will go back to A and I am back in business with analog and no buttons to push or hoops to jump through.

Anything I am missing?

I believe you have it correct, a signal in B triggers the override. 

I guess it depends on which item you want as the priority. Mine is set up as the AVR has priority, but I have a pre-amp connected also. If I'm listening to the 2 channel pre, the sound goes to my mains. If I turn on the AVR, the AVR now sends the sound to the mains, even though the pre is still on. The trigger on the AVR makes the Niles override the pre.

I setup pretty much the same.
The SPK-1 is labeled default on one side. I have the Corns connected to the inner terminals, HT amp output to L&R to the default side and the two channel amp connected to the B side L & R.

When the two channel preamp powers up its 12 volt trigger energizes the B side coils and the speakers are then connected to the L&R speakers. It is trigger sensing not signal sensing.

I have also used Niles AC-3 in like manner to power up older equipment that did not have remote control.

At one time I was using the AC-3 and SPK-1 in a system with Global Cache units that controlled the 12 VDC trigger signal. The 12 VDC was supplied by a spare Wii power supply. I have some photos of this setup at home.

If interested in these things I have a few in the closet.

Found one photo

Niles Combo.jpg