Have to change a hard drive in a 27" iMac tonight...ugh

avguytx

Yeah, I know a similar pain.  Changed some hinges for the lid on a Dell laptop I had last year.  Had to take the thing down to it's shell.  Wasn't terrible, but the replacement hinges broke a month later.  New laptop it was.

I've done that more than a few times back at the school. I believe it was Dell E6400 laptops and it was a chore to get to them for sure. Think it happened on E6410, 20, and 30, too, since they are similar design. Dang kids were rough on them! 

1 hour ago, ACV92 said:

Yeah, I know a similar pain.  Changed some hinges for the lid on a Dell laptop I had last year.  Had to take the thing down to it's shell.  Wasn't terrible, but the replacement hinges broke a month later.  New laptop it was.

My previous laptop was an HP.  It had a defective hinge assembly that eventually cracked up the casing around the hinge.  Occasionally, little chips would break off the casing.  Finally, it just kind of collapsed on itself and ruined the cooling fan, which caused very quick overheating and failure of the CPU.  That machine sucked!  It turned me off of HP.  I had other HP's before that that weren't so brittle, but that last one was something else.

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

My previous laptop was an HP.  It had a defective hinge assembly that eventually cracked up the casing around the hinge.  Occasionally, little chips would break off the casing.  Finally, it just kind of collapsed on itself and ruined the cooling fan, which caused very quick overheating and failure of the CPU.  That machine sucked!  It turned me off of HP.  I had other HP's before that that weren't so brittle, but that last one was something else.

I'll give you one guess as to what brand I got?  You guessed it, an HP.  So far, it's been a great laptop.  The hinge assembly seems to be a lot better than the Dell.  Thankfully, they're on the company. 

They all make lemons every once in a while. We have a bunch of refurbished HPs and Dells where I now work. The HPs are elite books, and seem pretty durable. We'll see how they hold up.

Just to update.  They decided they wanted the 960GB SSD drive to go in so I ordered that and the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter for mounting.  I did a chat session with Apple support and they confirmed I would need to install the operating system that it came with and upgrade from there as the older model can't do Internet Recovery.  The cool part is that Apple is sending me a free Snow Leopard DVD to do the install with and it went out yesterday, I suppose.  So that was nice.  The front glass is still off so putting the SSD in at this point isn't a major thing; just have to lift the main screen off again and put new drive in.  After that is done, I guess I'll put two new 8GB sticks of memory in and call it good.

Oh, it's just a learning curve every time since I don't work on them on a daily basis anymore.  I guess this isn't the worst thing ever.  At the school, I had a Mac server that I used to store Mac images on using Bootcamp and storing them to network install for the two labs that ran iMacs and needed both Windows and OS X.  Maybe I should tell them they can run Windows, too.  lol

41 minutes ago, -js- said:

whether you should tell them or not depends  - did they come through with the Snow Leopard disc?  or are good enough to 'maintain' a good working relationship?  :P

I haven't gotten the disc yet from Apple so time will tell there.  I can pick up one at the school I used to work for if it gets down to it.  

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I'm pretty sure they would run a modern linux faster than either...

They definitely would without a doubt.  But, the pair of Dr's that this iMac belongs to wouldn't be able to run a Linux system once it was installed.  lol.  They are both Apple people and have another 27" iMac like this one...just newer.