The More You Know...

SilverSport

I wonder if anyone here is as clueless as I am...;)... every time I think I have this down, I still learn there is more for me to learn...

I have several different pieces I cobble together for Home Theater duty...sometimes I assume (first mistake) that something that performs well in one way will perform well in others too.  As an example, I have an older Oppo BDP-83 that plays Blu-Ray very well...but it's recreation of sound via CD may not be up to some other equipment...sometimes equipment I already own...

Then there's the way something is connected...I sometimes assume (that again) that the easiest way to connect may be the best...hook it up Coax (digitally) to my AVR but then the AVR is doing the digital to audio conversion when perhaps for CDs, I could connect my components to the AVR using the analog connections and let my component do the DAC rather than the DAC in my AVR which in this case is a Panasonic SA-XR57...

The sound improvement was easily noticeable to me...

I continue to learn and it sure looks like I need to learn a lot...just thought I'd share...

Bill

what started me on this was the way I had been listening to CDs on two HT systems, both using the Opposite BDP-83 connected digitally rather than analog...

wondering why my Cambridge Audio Azure 640c or Heart tube'd Marantz sounded so much better in purely stereo systems...

Bill

• Like 1

I thought the 4k upscaling on my nvidia shield looked pretty good. Then I started digging deeper into the tech and started to read about how crappy the 4k upscaling was in this device vs the built in upscalers of most TV's. So I set it to cap at 1080p for non-4k content and wouldn't you know, it looks noticeably better using the TV's upscaler.

So yeah, you're not alone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silversport said:

what started me on this was the way I had been listening to CDs on two HT systems, both using the Opposite BDP-83 connected digitally rather than analog...

wondering why my Cambridge Audio Azure 640c or Heart tube'd Marantz sounded so much better in purely stereo systems...

Bill

I always connect my source players via analog and digital(if able) to see(hear) what sounds best.  Some source material/formats sounds better via digital while other material sounds best with analog connections.  On my main system, I watch all TV(sports, network, satellite) in "Enhanced Stereo" mode which seems to be more amplified, more presence, better detail, than satellite Dolby Digital.  The digital conversion in my Oppo 105 and my NAD T175HD are both excellent so at times it is a toss up.

Bill

• Like 1

I definitely hear more volume when listening to analog...I tried listening to a movie using the 5.1, 6 connection analog but found it no where near as nice to listen to for movies that digital connections (coax)...

I do have a Left and Right analog connection for listening to CDs or SACDs on the HT...but I usually reserve the HT for Home Theater while regular music listening to 2 channel elsewhere...

Bill