best subwoofer for the RF-5

jjefferson

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend the best sub for the RF-5?

Is there much of a difference between the KSW-12

and the RSW-12? (besides the price!)

Thanks, JJ

System

Sony STR-DE1075 Receiver

Sony DVP-NC615 DC/DVD Player

Sony KV36FV300 Wega TV

Sony SS-CN100 surround speakers

RF-5 main speakers

10.gif

Have you considered a DIY sonotube sub? If you go to either www.avsforum.com and or www.hometheaterforum.com you will find that they are VERY popular with those crowds. I can't remember who it was exactly, but someone here built one and was incredibly happy with the results.

I think you can make a good one for about $600 to $700. I have read about them and have considered making one when I get a chance.

I guess the reason I suggest it is because from what I hear from all the rave on those forums, it sounds like you would get more bang for your buck.

At 600-700USD you can also buy a SVS or HSU sub with plenty of output.VTF3 pr CS-Plus here!With a budget of 600-700USD with proper plans you can build a sub capable of massive 20Hz output,if you save on the cabinet and buy a sonotube tube.The main cost is in the driver and amp,the cabinet and end caps and port(s) cost nest to nothing.

The Klipsch route is a clear cut RSW12,tight,fast and defined sub.The KSW12 is boomy,lacks the punch and built quality is not even close to the RSW series.RSW12 by a mile over the KSW12.

Selecting a sub should be based on room size, your typical listening volume, budget, demand for fidelity vs. mere output and of course, the main speakers that will be paired with the sub. There IS a very big difference between the KSW-12 and RSW-12, in price and in performance. But the KSW-12 is one of the most popular subs on the market today. The opinions expressed here may or may not parallel your own. It's very easy to suggest the more capable, more expensive sub; and if price is no object, then go for it. Heck, I love my RSW-15, but that may not be the best choice for your system.

The tube subs suggested by a few here can also be very good products. They are also usually much larger in size than "conventional" subs. And, if size is no object, then the bigger ones usually have an advantage over the smaller ones. Go to a dealer who can demonstrate the benefits of high performance subwoofers over lower cost designs and then take a good look in your wallet. Think about which approach will be an investement in your long-term system and which will only satisfy you for the short run.

The rsw-15 is always an option, but is the difference worth the extra $600US?....

(that's about $1000Can!)

My Old Tangents had a rear firing sub built into each speaker....and I loved them.

I'm not sure I want the double sub set up of the rsw-15,

but would MUCH prefer the matching wood grain.

Thanks for the tip.

No interest in playing with makeing a sub @ this time,

I just wish the RSW-12 would come in the wood finish to match the speakers.

Have you heard the RSW-15s?

My previous Tangent line had rear firing subs in the back of each cabinet, and I LOVED them...

JJ

The quality in the RSW line is quite good across the board.From the RSW10 all the way to the RSW15 you get tight,punchy and defined bass.No boom or lag

The RSW12 has more output and goes a few Hz lower then the RSW10 and then the RSW15 has a bit more output still plus goes around 10Hz lower then the RSW10,all while maintaining power.The RSW10 gets weak from 35Hz down,the RSW12 I would rate it at a solid 30Hz and the RSW15 solid to 25Hz.

This depends on placament and room,so milage may change.The best comprromis is clearly the RSW12.

I purchased the RSW10 on inmpulse,walked in the store saw the sub and asked:

IS THIS THE NEW RSW10?

The slaesman said YEP

I said "SOLD"

I purchased my Krell on impulse too and many many products.

LOL

Get the RSW12 unless you have to have a matching finish.

I know from my experience with the LF-10 that Klipsch can make a very fine sounding sub.

However, for the money -- it's just impossible to go wrong with SVS. If you can handle the big black oil drum look (as Ears prefers to call them) -- then they are the clear choice. The performance to value ratio is outrageous.

Klipsch should work out a partnership program with SVS. The two simply go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly.

I'm sorry Klipsch, and I love you guys big time -- but I've had my fill of passive radiators.

If you want output that can keep up with the horns, as well as keep the distortion levels at their lowest -- then SVS is the best choice.

The price of the RSW-15 takes you into dual SVS Ultra territory. The RSW-15 can almost match the output of that SVS config -- but at a cost. If you want maximum output AND true 20Hz extension -- then again, you have to go with SVS.

----------------

On 10/20/2002 2:03:47 PM deang wrote:

I know from my experience with the LF-10 that Klipsch can make a very fine sounding sub.

However, for the money -- it's just impossible to go wrong with SVS. If you can handle the big black oil drum look (as Ears prefers to call them) -- then they are the clear choice. The performance to value ratio is outrageous.

Klipsch should work out a partnership program with SVS. The two simply go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly.

I'm sorry Klipsch, and I love you guys big time -- but I've had my fill of passive radiators.

If you want output that can keep up with the horns, as well as keep the distortion levels at their lowest -- then SVS is the best choice.

The price of the RSW-15 takes you into dual SVS Ultra territory. The RSW-15 can almost match the output of that SVS config -- but at a cost. If you want maximum output AND true 20Hz extension -- then again, you have to go with SVS.

----------------

Couldn't have said it better myself. I love my Klipsch speakers but for the money, SVS makes one hell of a sub!

Dalton

Ears,

Ya the maching finish is very impotant to me, because I'm fussy, but I've only had experience with a rear firing sub in th past, Tangent 40 (if you go way back),

and I'm not sure I want the double configuration of the RSW-15. But it does come with the matching fiish.

JJ