Property Boundry?

rplace

15 hours ago, rplace said:

Thanks for all the input. I spent Tuesday morning at Tractor Supply Co looking at fence posts. Manage to cut my pants severely and my leg just a bit. They gave me a free pair of pants! How is that for customer service? I was blown away.

So I get back to the compound with my 6.5' posts, signs, wire, and fence post setter. On about the 5th post the owner comes out. Completely different tune from days past. I think the surveyor must have been enough to have him realize I was not joking around. He was very calm, polite and dare I say friendly....no not friendly the guy is still a bit of a jerk but for sure he had his tail between his legs. You could tell in his voice and demeanor he was rattled. 

He says you don't have to put up the signs, I'll respect the survey markers. He more or less agreed that the first/corner marker was what he had thought several years ago when we built but seems he differed on the angle the property line cut after that. I was correct he was mistaken....though I still personally believe, based on previous conversations, that he knew all along what was mine and what was his his. He just thought since we rarely are on that part of the property that he could "take" liberties and appear to have more near his driveway leading to house. Long story but the short version is he built way to close to the boundary for a 10+ acre lot and I think he regrets the placement. Tough S#!t man, your problem not mine. Leave my stuff alone.

I told him I had to put the signs up as my next step was the cops and a lawyer. I needed the signs to clearly state my purpose. The signs are pointed right at his driveway has he passes and only about 15' from the driveway. In some spots the posts/signs are only about 30' from his house. I actually felt a bit bad as they are right in his face and pretty ugly IMO. Why oh why didn't he build more into his property?!?! We talked some more he apologized for what was downed and tried some lame excuse that the guy he hired got carried away. We discussed the spraying and a few other issues.

In the end I agreed to remove the signs but keep the fence posts to clearly mark the boundary line. We agreed that if during the summer I did not see brush growing back up that the signs would return. He promised up and down to never set foot across the line again. Agreed to not spray roundup, agreed that he was wrong. Thanked me for taking the signs down and shook my hand at least 3 times.

All in all I'm happy with the results because the sighs were obnoxious and so close to his house. I felt sort of bad for his wife and kids having to look at them. Again what were they thinking when they built?

I think I am now in the "trust but verify" mode. I'll be keeping a close eye out. I'd like to believe that we are all ultimately decent and do the right thing given a chance...but it is pretty hard these days. My wife thinks I am bit too trusting. Time will tell. I'm not returning all the signs, that is for sure.

Sounds like a happy ending; you can sell that AR15 now.