Nakamichi SR-4A?

Soundthought

Who has any experience with the Nakamichi SR-4A?

I recently aquired one a few days ago.

So far, this thing has a really good sound to it.

I've never listened to any Nakamichi products before.

I must say, for a 60wpc 2 channel receiver, it certainly pulls it's own weight.

My first observation.

Plenty of detail and separation with quite a low bass floor.

It has good dynamics with sizable impact.

I'm impressed.

This thing is cleeeeean.

What i'm wondering is if anyone can comment on this unit or similiar models from Nakamichi.

You know, the usuals.

Are they dependable?

What do you listen for?

What do you hear?

Why don't I see more of them around?

I'm just constantly searching for that "one" sound.

Nakamichi was a direction I haven't gone yet.

I do like what i'm hearing, now. 3.gif

It's funny how that works.

All feedback is appreciated.

John.

I once had a Nak receiver. I got bought it used with some Heresy's as a package. The guy wouldn't separate them. Everyone else only wanted the Heresy's, I was the first one willing to pay for the Nak as well. Glad I did. It was from the mid to late 80's or so. It was a Stasis design, which means the amp section was a Nelson Pass design. Although I don't have it anymore, It was the best receiver I have ever heard. If you have a Stasis receiver, you've got a great one. I wouldnt' hesistate getting another one if I ever came across one again.

Wouldn't separate them, huh?

I can understand that.

I've got this Nak hooked up to my Quartets right now.

Sounds sweet.

It's definately a STASIS.

Inherently Stabile/Uniform Impeadance Amplifier.

Built in '87.

What else do you know about the Stasis?

It's been warming up for about 35hrs now.

Talk about depth.

I'm listening to some Jazz on NPR right now and Man, it's about swallowing me up.

I love that feel.

Don't know much more about STASIS other than that it is a Nelson Pass design and is the same he used on Threshold amplifiers as well as a design used on top-of-the-line Nakamichi separate power amps of the same era. It should say STASIS on the face of the receiver. You've got a great one there.

I've had some experiences with these.

The SR-(x)A receiver series from Nak work very well with Klipsch. These were very popular combinations in the late 80's - I saw many systems using Nak/Klipsch combos (at that time, many Klipsch dealers sold Nak). For a receiver, a very competent amplifier section that makes Klipsch sing like a bird.

I have also spent time drooling over the PA-7's (mono amplifiers), and these occasionally show up used for a deal. I knew a fella some years ago who had PA-7's and matching preamp hooked up to Cornwalls - it was a wonderful system. Clean, pure, and smooth power to spare!!

The previous owner of my Cornwalls used a CR-1A receiver (25WPC??), and it drove the Corns very well.

All borrow from Nelson Pass' STASIS design (Threshold). The SR series of receivers are certainly worth a look if you are putting together a used, value driven system. In an age of surround this and that, the high quality 2 channel receiver is becoming extinct. This is a simple, inexpensive solution that sounds more expensive than it is (especially if one wants solid state). I certainly understand your urge to keep the Nak.

Gotta love used:)