LOOK what came today!

Orange Peel

sub.jpg

sub2.jpg

I already swapped it and it sounds great as always! I turned the gain down 2.gif So this one should last a bit longer. I will be recalibrating it when I get my disk, until then, VERY conservative time for me 1.gif

And here's what Tom included for me free of charge, I break a driver and this is how cool SVS is and how customer serviced they are!!!

svsshirt.jpg

svsshirt2.jpg

Thanks again Tom and everyone at SVS!

Orange Peel,

I HAVE to ask you this...What is it that you(and Tom) decided where the mistakes in calibration came from?

Luckily when my PC+ came in I had help from one of my forum friends and he helped me do some of the initial set-up. Then I had to leave town a few times, I had a few cable chomp problems, and now I want to do some more tuning, and I really would like to avoid any mistiakes that you already have made.

Generally, I listen to music loud...But not Movies, I really don't like loud dialog.

I think It would be helpful if you would share your experiences, especially since you are the only other PC+ owner that I know.

And I know the difficulties that you faced in trying to control the power of that little beastie.

Clu

Well it was mostly Tom that decided the calibration was the problem. I thought I had set it up correctly with my SPL meter, but I wasn't aware that LOTR's is SUPER bass heavy, and that coupled with my HOT setup, it just bottomed out on me 8.gif I had it all setup about 10db's HOT and it should only be about 5db's over the rest of the speakers. Since I love to listen to my movies near reference, Tom suggested I tune the sub to the same db's as the rest of the speakers, and when watching LOTR's I should turn the gain down a little to prevent that from happening again.

I don't think music will be an issue with hurting this sub, there's not the insane low low frequencies in music like you hear in movies, and it's usually not compressed so damn much like LOTR's is and will make the settings even hotter than you calibrated for.

I think you will be fine, I really wouldn't worry if you don't listen to movies at reference levels, the sub won't even be getting a work out then 9.gif I have cranked my music up with the movie settings, and it sounds terrific, no bottoming out or nothing. I and the same thing as Tom suggested is to get a calibration DVD like Avia or Video Essentials, this way you can "truly" tune the system correctly. I will be getting one real soon, in the mean time, the sub is tuned down from previous settings and I'm VERY conservative with it 1.gif

Hope that helps a little.

OP-

Thanks a bunch! It took me a rather frantic week of just getting rid of the rattles in my NOTSO great room, and the sub set up with the SPL meter. I was planning to play some with the AVIA disk when I could give it the necessary attention. I just didn't want to travel the same ground you did. YIKES! What do you have the gain set to anyway?

If you aren't already, please be aware of the proper calibration curve with the Rat Shack meter.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/49147.html

As for me, I just adjust by ear. Bring in the sub until you "hear" it, then slightly back off until you don't hear it. It'll be perfect everytime. I do it for every CD and every movie, since each disc is mixed differently. One setting just don't get it.

Clueless, the gain was set at a little less than half way, now it's about 1/3 way maybe a little less until I get it all setup right.

It kinda sucks to have to turn the sub down so much, it feels like you aren't using it at all, but in reality it's putting out some serious db's! I'm just not used to a killer sub like this I guess 9.gif

Great show,congratulations.These metallic woofer cones make a perfect match with the metallic woofer cones of the RF-7's 2.gif

I will be looking forward to get my own PC-Plus and Ultras 1.gif

And the free SVS shirt just shows why SVS is so popular.Service,probably the best service you can get.

op, glad you turned the sub gain down some.

that's the thing about LFE in movies. that's a big reason why they made it the discrete .1 channel - its speced for 10db gain over the other channels already. so if you calibrate the sub's output that much over the other channels/speaks, you're going to really get some gain w/ LFE material.

but not so much to worry about on the low bass sub output from 2-channel music. & that's why they have or recommend dropping the lfe output 10db on dts 5.1 music dvd.