GONE Yamaha RX1100

JohnJ

I picked this up from a local fellow back in `91. He was already upgrading his gear obviously in a much higher tax-bracket than I've ever been.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/774823/Yamaha-Rx-1100u.html

This is about 25lbs I think so shipping would be a lot for what I think a fair price on a good sounding machine with a quirky led screen would be.

image.jpg

It's powerful clean sound still, 125 wpc rms with one pair, two or three pairs of speakers it does 100 wpc rms each.

Tuner is very good, the variable loudness is excellent with media that needs softening a little or a lot.

The tuner readout is what is quirky, I've got the good ones programmed here so I haven't been bothered by it much.

The remote control works very well too.

I'd guess it would be time to refresh caps and things, I'll leave that up to the next owner if it moves on.

Free

S. Charlotte

1 hour ago, teaman said:

These Yamaha's don't have any value retained. I gave away an RX-V2700 for $75 shipped in mint condition. $1799 retail...insane.

Yes and it is a shame, They built quality components that did not color the sound, only reproduced the media the way it was recorded.

This tank of a receiver still makes abundant clear clean sound but I found what appeared to be a bargain for under two bills and a decade newer to drive my tv setup.

This thing could still rock a one mile radius if I connected my super heresy and my forte IIIs to it and turned it up to two o'clock with the sliding glass door open.

I've been lambasted talking about it driving three sets at 100 wpc because the young folks haven't seen receivers that actually do what they say they can do and did not use sleight of tongue to spec the units. 

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yes and it is a shame, They built quality components that did not color the sound, only reproduced the media the way it was recorded.

This tank of a receiver still make abundant clear clean sound but I found what appeared to be a bargain for under two bills and a decade newer to drive my tv setup.

This thing could still rock a one mile radius if I connected my super heresy and my forte IIIs to it and turned it up to two o'clock with the sliding glass door open.

I've been lambasted talking about it driving three sets at 100 wpc because the young folks haven't seen receivers that actually do what they say they can do and did not use sleight of tongue to spec the units. 

While Yamaha receivers do sound good, they are hugely overrated. Especially with them the power rating specs are not even in the same ballpark as actual bench tests. My RX-V2700 was rated at 140 wpc x 7 and on the bench test it only put out 47 wpc with seven channels driven. I couldn't rid myself quick enough after finding that out. I could hear it beginning to break up as the volume dial climbed. Absolutely gutless

Yours is a newer unit @teaman

This one came out before that, four 501s and one pair of heresy II we could go to the school 1/8 mile north and not just barely hear but jam on five discs continuous or a 120 min cassette and play glow in the dark frisbee until the cops drove in. That wasn't even with all the windows open!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yours is a newer unit @teaman

This one came out before that, four 501s and one pair of heresy II we could go to the school 1/8 mile north and not just barely hear but jam on five discs continuous or a 120 min cassette and play glow in the dark frisbee until the cops drove in. That wasn't even with all the windows open!

I kind of posted that as a warning for you in case you were considering getting rid of this to buy another Yamaha. I owned an R-9 or R-11....something like that back in the early eighties and it sounded fantastic. Another thing I don't understand is why they include 60 DSP modes, when most people listen too only 1-3

• Like 1

Never did the avr thing this was as close as I got and I really did not think it did too much for the clarity of the Trinitron I had back then.

Getting a Marantz that should be/have read it's more warm than clinical sounding.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old topic here, but i have an opportunity to get this unit used, but I understand there's a concern with the hdmi input/pass through... but will that actually be an issue if I use the tv as the original source? For example could I use the streaming apps on the TV and or roku/firestick/blueray into TV hdmi, and use the hdmi return to the yamaha, and it still gets the 7.1 audio signals??

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 10:17 AM, GuyNix said:

Sorry to drag up an old topic here, but i have an opportunity to get this unit used, but I understand there's a concern with the hdmi input/pass through... but will that actually be an issue if I use the tv as the original source? For example could I use the streaming apps on the TV and or roku/firestick/blueray into TV hdmi, and use the hdmi return to the yamaha, and it still gets the 7.1 audio signals??

Not a problem. Don't recall HDMI being anywhere in 1990 bud.

This model is a two channel old school brute with great clear sound. Ran three sets of speakers off of it and could listen at the ballfield four blocks of away and hear everything.

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:17 AM, GuyNix said:

The RX-1100 was way pre-hdmi, like 20 years pre-hdmi.

48 minutes ago, billybob said:

What is HDMI?

Imagine a usb-c that charges your phone being larger. Then better picture quality, better sound going through the same cable.

If you've cut the cable and use a Roku it is the only way you can get good sound out of a picture frame tv. Connect the Roku to the aux/satellite/ on receiver then the audio out from then tv the select external speakers in the roku settings.

• Thanks 1