Share cable box or stream HDMI

rplace

My wife has watched all the movies and music videos while working out on the treadmill that she cares to. Now we are thinking about how to get TV to our treadmill in the basement workout area. There is an older TV and DVD player already in place but that is it no coax run to that spot. I have messed around with running some coax along the floor and taken cable box (actually satellite TV, but same idea) from the bedroom to the basement and hooked everything up, but that is not really practical for her on a daily basis. It takes about 15 minutes to set things up and let the box find the main unit. I don't really want to pay a monthly fee for another cable box that gets used 3-4 times a week for an hour or less.

This https://www.iogear.com/product/GW3DHDKIT/ looked like it might fit the bill, but a fairly steep entry price not know how well it works. Its a two story house so bedroom to basement might be a stretch. The reason I was physically moving the bedroom cable box is because it is a tiny, light companion box not the big one with the DVR and all. If the iogear was a possibility I'm thinking I could attach it to my main box on the first floor and cut the distance to the treadmill down by quite a bit. About 40 feet horizontally and 1 story down.

Anyone use one of these or something similar? Good/Bad/Alternate ideas? I'm not really married to the idea of wireless. I'd be happy to cut some holes in wall for the right solution. Ultimately my  only goal would be to have live TV with the ability to control channels and volume in a remote location. I'm not trying to watch the same show on multiple TVs at the same time or different shows from the same box. I'd just like the ability to watch a single channel but control/view it from two locations.

Make sense?

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I wouldn't think you'd want HDMI then.  If possible, I'd try to run a cable.

Guess I should have said not something purchased in the last 6 months or specifically for this project. An older display that has HDMI in. Heavier, flat screen from 5 years ago or so. Not the latest and greatest 4K and no smart capabilities with streaming services built in. Not old in the tube TV sense. My cable box has HDMI out and my TV has HDMI in.

I should add that I have no problem running a cable to the location but I'm not seeing how that will really help my wife. Think low-tech, wants to push a few buttons. I can't see her getting the bedroom box unhooked (power, IR repeater, HDMI cable, Coax) then going to the basement and plugging/hooking things up. Then reversing the process to put it back in the bedroom. I don't mind the one time $200 sting of the linked streaming thing above, but wondering if others have skinned this same cat and how good it worked and if they would do it again or differently.

• Moderators

I don't know if cable companies have them but satellite companies have a receiver/box which works as 2 boxes, we have one.  The second room gets a different remote and both rooms can watch two different shows while sharing one box. But a cable has to run from the box to the second room where there is no box.

8 minutes ago, dtel said:

I don't know if cable companies have them but satellite companies have a receiver/box which works as 2 boxes, we have one.  The second room gets a different remote and both rooms can watch two different shows while sharing one box. But a cable has to run from the box to the second room where there is no box.

Dish or DirecTV?

20 minutes ago, rplace said:

I should add that I have no problem running a cable to the location but I'm not seeing how that will really help my wife. Think low-tech, wants to push a few buttons. I can't see her getting the bedroom box unhooked (power, IR repeater, HDMI cable, Coax) then going to the basement and plugging/hooking things up. Then reversing the process to put it back in the bedroom. I don't mind the one time $200 sting of the linked streaming thing above, but wondering if others have skinned this same cat and how good it worked and if they would do it again or differently.

Slap a ROKU stick on it and stream. 

20 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Slap a ROKU stick on it and stream. 

I should further add that I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have high speed internet....yes that is still possible. I don't have a single cable company/Fios in my area and am too far from the Telecom company for DSL. I can't stream things like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, etc. due to my data limits on the crappy Internet service I do have.

I'm trying to get my small, dish network Joey box which is like any other companion box (where it talks to the main receiver with DVR, Guide, etc.) to work in two rooms. Task at hand fellas, task at hand. Let's not solve new problems, let's make this tennis ball drop the desired inches.;). Coax in, HDMI out, one box, 2-rooms, fool proof is what is needed.

My current options are DirectTV, Dish Network, OTA and the wife wants to watch channels on the TV when working out that are not local. What other parameters do I need to detail to solve this problem?

1 minute ago, dtel said:

Dish

Interesting. I'm going to do some more digging. I'm a recent Dish user after 14+ years with DirecTV. Guessing Coax in for the signal then HDMI out in main room where the box is and coax out from said box to "antenna in" on the TV that does not have the box?

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, rplace said:

Interesting. I'm going to do some more digging. I'm a recent Dish user after 14+ years with DirecTV. Guessing Coax in for the signal then HDMI out in main room where the box is and coax out from said box to "antenna in" on the TV that does not have the box?

Yes the second tv is connected directly to the coax no box.